LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

measuring temperature with PCI-4351 & TC-2190

Hi,

I am a new LabView developer. I have a PCI-4351 data logger card and a TC-2190 thermocouple chassis. I cannot communicate with the 4351 cuz I don't know how. I've set up a channel with MAC and the hardware test works okay, but I can't find the right object to grab the measurement when I'm creating the vi. Do I use NI-DAQmx or VI Logger functions to take simple instantaneous temp. measurements?

Is there some example code I can start with? I tried to run the ni_435x_thermocouple.vi example that I downloaded from the developer zone, but there are several sub-vi's not loaded on my machine (eg: AI Hardware Config.vi) that it tries to find upon launch. Looks like a vestiges of LabView 5 that aren't there anymore. Is there an easier way for this LabView 8 user?

Sincerely,
Jack Santori
410-471-6262
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,835 Views)
Hi Jack,

The PCI-4351 only has support for the Traditional NI-DAQ functions and not NI-DAQmx.  It sounds like you don't currently have those drivers installed on the system, and this is why the Traditional NI-DAQ function AI Hardware Config.vi cannot be found.

If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, the most current version of the Traditional DAQ drivers available for download is 7.4.1 and they can be downloaded here.  If you are not using one of these operating systems, Traditional DAQ driver versions for another OS can be found here.  Example programs are a great place to start, and the Developer Zone includes a wealth of information.  Installing the Traditional NI-DAQ drivers will also include example programs that you can open and run in LabVIEW 8.0 by going to Help>Find Examples.

Regards,
Andrew W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,824 Views)

How do I read all the channels at one time?  I have the PXI NI 4351 and the TC-2190.  Traditional NI-DAQ sees them and works.  I created in Data Neighborhood 14 Traditional NI-DAQ Virtual Channels and those work.  There is a AI Sample Channel.vi and a AI Sample Channels.vi .  Both give me an output of a Single channel.  And if I put several in the same frame, they all read different channels correctly, but at different times. I would think the AI Sample Channel"S".vi would output more than one data point/channel.  Does anyone have an old copy of VI Logger?  NI doesn't.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,320 Views)

This forum is pretty old, so people are probably not watching it anymore. You may have better luck posting a new thread, however because both the hardware and driver you are using are legacy, you may have limited responses.

Maggie M.
Application Engineer
National Instruments.
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,299 Views)