LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max icon changed

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using LabVIEW on two different machines, and the laptop has a strange little problem with MAX.  Everything in the code is working except that on the laptop, for some strange reason, the desktop shortcut icon is no longer the same old blue globe with a yellow arrow through it!  Instead I have a windows sort of standard icon: square with a sort of windows text icon. When I go into the program files, National Instruments folder, I see the same icon, not the origianl icon!  When I right click the Measurement and Automation and look at the properties for this thing I get the properties dialog box and the original MAX icon is shown in the dialog box!   I can go into the change Icon box with the button, and see the original MAX icon shown in the display, along with a path to National Instruments/MAX/NIMax.exe, choose it, and then go back to the short cut menu and click Apply. I thought this would cure the problem, but no it didn't. This isn't a real serious problem and I have no clue as to what caused this, but I would like to figure out how to change back to the original MAX icon.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,776 Views)

If you click on the start button, ( I assume your running windows)

and find the MAX program under all programs, which icon do you see? can you just make a new shortcut?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,771 Views)

It is getting stranger! In C:/Program Files (x86) / National Instruments / MAX / niswelib / max.ico I find the original MAX icon! If I go into C:/Program Files (x86) / National Instuments / MAX directory I find NIMax.exe which is obviously the MAX executable, but the icon symbol is not the default MAX icon. When I look at the properties of the executable, the original MAX icon is shown in the General  page of the properties pop up dialog box! Somehow the link from the executable and the proper MAX icon file is not there anymore and I cannot figure out how to fix this.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,744 Views)

You said you have labview on two computers. Can you delete the bad file that has missing components and replace it with a copy from the desktop computer. This way when labview tries to find the icon, it will actually be there.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,739 Views)

Yes I do have two computers: one is my laptop computer, a 64 bit machine with a 32 bit Lab VIEW installed, and the other is a super secure company machine, 32 bit computer. Getting anything off the company computer is a big problem because of the security issues with the company policies. I can't even search for the NIMax.exe file without special admin privilege on the company computer.  I think you are talking about deleting the NIMax.exe file and replacing it with the same one on the company computer? That I am very hesitant to do: gettin rid of working executables doesn't seem like it can help me when all I need is to reestablish the link to the MAX icon.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,734 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hounddog

It seems like this is mostly a windows problem!  After looking around for MAX icon files on my computer I found two of them: 16 x 16 and 32 x 32 bits. After shift - right click on the task bar icon a properties box pops up, and going to the Shortcut menu and using the change icon selection, and entering in the path to the 16 x 16 icon file I thought that this solved the matter. Unfortunately the icon didn't change as expected, but I did try a restart in case the thing was working out of the ini files and voila! It worked. And now creating a desktop short  cut from the exe file also shows the original MAX icon. Problem solved.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,688 Views)