From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

logic analyzer using usb 6009

i am having 4 LEDs which are flashing in sequence to the decade counter. i want to observe the flashing sequence of these LEDs on LabVIEW using usb6009 such as 0000, 0001, 0010, 0011 and so on...

how can i view them on a digital waveform graph...making it a simple logic analyzer... please help..
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,848 Views)

First, the USB-6009 is not very suitable for a logic analyzer because it only has software timed digital inputs. So you are limited to how fast you can acquire the data and  the timing between successive samples will have significant jitter.

Within those limitations you can somewhat demonstrate the concept of a logic analyzer with the USB-6009 for slow signals. If the flashing sequence of the LEDs is slow enough to be perceptible to the human eye/brain, then you can probably get something like what you want.

Start by looking at the DAQ examples to see if there is one which is close to what you need. Find the best example, copy it to a new name and then modify the copy as needed.

If you want better timing accuracy and resolution, consider using analog inputs. They are hardware timed. With four channels you could probably get 10 kHz or slightly more.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,811 Views)
i tried it using four analog channels... the waveforms were visible but were almost full of noise. I did not usderstood from where noise gets added??
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,796 Views)
also the flashing of LEDs is quite slow... easily observable... so can it be possible to display on a digital waveform graph??
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,795 Views)
Reading four different digital lines is dead simple. The DAQ Assistant can be simply placed in a loop. Have you even tried this?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,787 Views)
i placed the daq assistant in a while loop but i am not able to view the waveform on a digital waveform graph. how to connect it to the digital waveform graph..??
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,770 Views)
Are you able to view the logic changes with a normal graph or chart? The point of the DAQ Assistant was to simply see if you could acquire.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,752 Views)