LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

load a .pcap file

Hi All,

I want to load a wireshark trace, process it and dump out the required details.  I was using wireshark to do this but since I discovered sequencing issues that wireshark cannot handle, I though the easiest way to do this would be to use labVIEW.

I was looking through the example on winpcap but it doesn't show how to load a file.  

Rather than reinvent the wheel, does anyone know if there is a way to load pcap files into LabVIEW?

Ciao,

Seán

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(7,617 Views)

Basically you will have to edit the CPP source code and add a new function lvwpcap_open_capturefile() or something similar which works similar to lvwpcap_open_interface() but instead of calling in there pcap_open_live() it would call pcap_open_offline() from the pcap library. Then create a new DLL from that and write a wrapper VI to call this new function.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(7,607 Views)

Thanks RPE,

However, as far as I can see, the source files are not included:

http://www.ni.com/example/27660/en/

Rgds,

S

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(7,593 Views)

Well, the lvwpcap.cpp is. That is the important one. You'll have to decide what C compiler you're gonna use and create the according DLL project for it.

Message 4 of 13
(7,584 Views)

Oops! Just found  lvwpcap.cpp

I'll try your recommendation later when I get a chance.

In the meantime, I was trying to parse a pcap file

The first 46bytes apepars similar to that shown below:

AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA 1231 3C0A ABCD

I have blanked the first 40 bytes, (time stamp ?).  Following this, (bytes 41-43), what I expected to be the MAC address : 

Actual MAC address: 1231 3C0D ABCD

(ABCD inserted for security)

However, the Actual MAC address is 1231 3C0D ABCD which is strange and something I cannot explain.  I didn't glean much from the manual either.

The good news is the data payload matches, (at least on the first packet I tried).  This means I should be able to strip out the interesting packets and create a new pcap file.  

Still don't understand why the MAC addresses do not match but this is probably a winpcap question...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(7,576 Views)

If you read a binary file you shouldn't use the Read Text File node but rather the Read Binary File node. And if you use the Read Text File node anyways you should at least disable "convert end of line" mode on it!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 6 of 13
(7,570 Views)

Doh!

Thanks rolfk, mystery solved.  Now reading 1231 3C0D ABCD

Rgds,

Seán

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,564 Views)

Did you have any success at all loading a .pcap file into Labview using the .cpp method ? I'm currently looking at doing the same using recorded LIDAR data in .pcap format but haven't had any luck myself.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(7,326 Views)

You migth want to check this out:

http://www.kroosec.com/2012/10/a-look-at-pcap-file-format.html

It appears to be pretty much step-by-step instructions on how to parse these files.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 9 of 13
(7,316 Views)

Dear sir,

If Have Edited lvwpcap.cpp file for offline data capure..plz attach to us so that it will be great help to us...

Thanks & regargs,

Muniraju

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(7,213 Views)