LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linux application fonts

Reposted from erroneous post on Labwindows/CVI - sorry

I am having the problem of different font behaviour when transferring applications from windows to linux.  After trying various things without much success I am left with some questions:-

1      The help files in LV 8.2 say that the default font in linux for application, system and dialog is helvetica.  If this is not installed is there any way of finding which font has been chosen by Labview?

2      The 'Tools->Options->Fonts' menu gives a list of fonts that have little relation to the fonts actually installed on the PC, where does this come from?

3      I have tried defining fonts in the .labviewrc file using the "labview.appFont:" parameter.  Is this supposed to become the default font overriding what is selected by labview as in 1?  It apparently has no effect in my application.  

I would be grateful for any information

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,165 Views)

Hi jbroughton,

Thanks for posting into the correct forum.

Just to let you know, your post is NOT off the NI Radar, and I will look into your issue tomorrow (15th Oct).

However - the update, may 'grab' some more attention!

My current thinking is, this is most likely controlled by linux - rather than labVIEW. BUT like I said, I will do some research tomorrow.

Kind Regards, 

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,140 Views)

Hi jbroughton,

I hope your well today.

As promised I have had a look into your questions:

1) Regarding what happens if labVIEW can't find the default?

A) LabVIEW will still indicate the original font in the font ring. However, since the font is not available on the system, LabVIEW will actually use the Application Font.

What Happens if LabVIEW Cannot Find a Particular Font for a VI?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B9106029B7E13AD5862565FA00743376?OpenDocument

2) More info on fonts in labVIEW (is in a KB, but link is broken so...)

<><><><>

In terms of fonts, LabVIEW has three default fonts that it uses: Application, System, and Dialog fonts. The following is a breakdown of where these default fonts are used and how they map to the fonts on various operating systems:

Application Font:
LabVIEW default font used in Controls/Functions palettes and new controls.

- (Windows) The U.S. version of Windows usually uses Arial. The size depends on the settings of the video driver, because you can frequently set up higher resolution video drivers to use Large Fonts or Small Fonts.

- (Macintosh) LabVIEW uses the same font used in the Finder for file names for the Application font, which on the U.S. Macintosh system is Geneva.

- (UNIX) LabVIEW uses Helvetica by default.

System Font
LabVIEW font for menus.

- (Windows) Windows uses Helvetica, with the size dependent upon the video driver.

- (Macintosh) Thus, LabVIEW normally uses Chicago.

- (UNIX) LabVIEW normally uses Helvetica for this font.

Dialog Font
LabVIEW font for text in dialog boxes.

- (Windows) This font is a bold version of the Application font.

- (Macintosh) This font is the same as the System font.

- (UNIX) On HP-UX, this font is the same as the System font. LabVIEW normally uses Helvetica for this font.

<><><><><><>><><>

3) This a forum post regarding your topic, they seem to resolve their issues.. maybe take a look.

Re: Font problem with LabVIEW for Linux

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=89833&requireLogin=False

4) more forum advice:

arial font substitution for (LabVIEW for) Linux

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=259972&requireLogin=False

Please let me know how you get on, and what advice you have for other users - as it seems its never really been answered!

Kind Regards,

Kind Regards
James Hillman
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,126 Views)

Hello Hillman

Thanks for your prompt reply however I'm still confused:-

1     If I open a vi in linux where all three fonts (application, dialog, system) are set to 'default' the ni help (confirmed in your email) says that helvetica will be used.  If there is no helvetica in that particular linux installation another font is used by labview.  If I click on the text it indicates that the font is indeed 'application' but I don't know which of the installed fonts on the PC is being used as the default.

2     I have tried the msttcorefonts route without any success which was the reason for questions 2 and 3 in my original email.  Fonts installed on the linux PC do not apppear in the labview menus and I am not quite sure of the use of the "labview.appFont: fontname" parameter in .labviewrc

Regards

John

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,110 Views)

Hi John,

Sorry I havn't had any time to get into looking at this issue - and Im now out of the office until tuesday.

I would recommend contacting UK Tech Support on 01635 523545 if you have our Standard Service Package - to get your issue looked it by someone in the team!

Otherwise, I will be much freer later next week to reply..

Sorry again,

Kind Regards,

Kind Regards
James Hillman
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,090 Views)