cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leap seconds in labview timestamp

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am puzzled about how the labview timestamp works and whether the leap seconds are included in it or not.

In the link http://www.ni.com/white-paper/7900/en/

It clearly states that they are not: (i64) seconds since the epoch 01/01/1904 00:00:00.00 UTC (using the Gregorian calendar and ignoring leap seconds)

BUT if I convert the current time (which I understand is the time of Windows which includes the leap seconds) to a labview timestamp in seconds they seem to be in sync and not to have an offset of 25 or so seconds which are the leap seconds introduced since 1/1/1904

Example:

12:10:00 07/10/2014  ->  3495521400

Is there a way to demonstrate with a small vi that the leap seconds are or are not included in the labview timestamp?

thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,715 Views)

Your test cleary states that the LabVIEW timestamp does not include leap seconds, otherwise the result would have been 3495521425.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,696 Views)

Thank you Jens for the answer. I think I understand now.

Then this means that the labview time "jumps" a second every time there is a leap second, correct?

So if I want to know which is the number of seconds that actually passed since 1/1/1904 I should add the leap seconds to the labview timestamp?

Thanks again,

Theodoros

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,691 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author theodoros

@theodoros wrote:
So if I want to know which is the number of seconds that actually passed since 1/1/1904 I should add the leap seconds to the labview timestamp?

Correct!

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,683 Views)