LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

large spreadsheet text file

Hi,

I am writing a LabVIEW 7.1 program to sort and analyze the data in a data file which is a tab-delimited spreadsheet file and 40MB in size. When I try to load the spreadsheet file and make the data as a 2D array of string (using Read Characters From File.vi and Spreadsheet String To Array), it used up over 200MB window memory and caused the computer hung up. 

Are there any more effiecient way to extract the data from the data file?

Thank you very much!

Cola
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,124 Views)

There are many ways to do this and some ways use much more memory than others. If you are not careful, you might create quite a few extra data copies in memory.

What kind of data is in the spreadheet file? Since you are converting it to an array of strings, I assume it is not numeric data. Is that right? What kind of operations do you need to perform on the data? How are you displaying it?

If the data is actually numeric, a 40MB tab-delimited spreadsheet file is in an inefficient storage format an a copy in memory should take much less than 40MB. If it is really numeric data you should convert it directy to a numeric 2D array. Make sure you use the right datatype, e.g. if it is all integers, make a I32 array istead of DBL.

What is the array dimension (rows x colums)?

If you want, attach your code and a small version of your data file and we might be able to offer more specific advice. 😉

Message Edited by altenbach on 01-16-2007 10:26 PM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,120 Views)