LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

large amount of bound variables error handling

back again.

Is there some good procedure if I got about 100 variables from a controller and I want to do error handling? Do I have to wire every variable with error in/out, in series? Wouldn't this take 100 operations/steps, because it has to check every one?

I.e. most likely read error from PLC.

Lots of them are in lots of 8. Data from 8 motors, voltage 1-8, RPM 1-8 and so on. I will make them arrays to pass them on. Maybe just check every array?

Thanks for your replies.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,737 Views)

I suppose it depends on whether or not you care if those variables are throwing errors, if you want to know, there aren't a whole lot of other ways to find out.  Am I to assume that by variables you mean "Shared Variables"?  You don't have to wire them all sequentially just so you know as well, you could wire them in parallel, and use a "Merge Errors" vi to get the errors back to a single wire.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,695 Views)

pretty much 100+ shared variables from the I/O server, coming from a PLC via Modbus. So most likely either I get all or none. And some BS reading, when sensors are not connected, but that is not an error as such. I think connection state should do. And the variables, just give them a timeout.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,683 Views)

Yeah, I've dealt with that many variables before.  Generally speaking you're right, that's about all they'll tell you if they do have an error at all.  There are a few more minor ones that can come up, but they probably won't.  Take a look at the list here for the top ones:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B9366256C53D95CA8625725A007C028

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,667 Views)

most likely there will be something like cannot connect to SQL later on and cannot open VISA connection. This should not affect the variables

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,661 Views)