LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview with arduino

Solved!
Go to solution

How a program made in labview can be made to run on the arduino board? OR How can i set arduino board as a real time target in labview project ? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 49
(4,463 Views)

You can't run LabVIEW on an Arduino.  But there are a couple of toolkits out there for having a Windows LabVIEW application control an Arduino.  Do a good search for LIFA (LabVIEW Interface for Arduino).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 49
(4,451 Views)

Look here. And here.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 49
(4,443 Views)

okay. But can i do a real time processing like comparison of 2 digital signals and then generate a signal in real time using labview front panel just as an interface and all the processing going on in the board because someone told me that we can decide in labview which vis to deploy on the board and which to keep in the system.

If not possible then kindly tell me the alternatives. Please help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 49
(4,402 Views)

Let's take a step back.  What exactly do you mean by "real time"?  Are you talking about running an RT embedded system or having a Windows program make decisions on-the-fly?  There is a big difference.

You can write a program that does all of the processing on the Arduino.  You just can't do it in LabVIEW.  But you can make a serial protocol that the Arduino puts out and then a LabVIEW program that reads that serial port data and displays it somehow.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 49
(4,382 Views)

"Real time"  in my case means controlling a running ic engine. I need labview just as a user interface where the user will change the input values and based on the inputs the timers on the Arduino board will generate delay for outputs. But how will i be able to program the inbuilt timers of Arduino board? Is there any vi in labview which can do so?

And don't worry about the speed of the board, the engine will be running at a low speed so that the response time will be in milliseconds.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 49
(4,373 Views)

@oathkeeper wrote:

But how will i be able to program the inbuilt timers of Arduino board? Is there any vi in labview which can do so?

Like I said, you will need to program the Arduino with its IDE.  Come up with a good serial protocol to send that data between your Arduino and the LabVIEW program.  You can go look at LIFA as at least a good start.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 49
(4,359 Views)

You cannot write LabVIEW code and then run it on an Arduino like you would a MyRIO or CompactRIO platform. You must write a LabVIEW interface VI to run on the PC and then also separate C code to run on the Arduino. The C code would interface with the hardware of the Arduino and the PC code in LabVIEW would provide the user interface. They can communicate over a serial port connection.

If this sounds too complicated, then it seems like what you need to do is use the LIFA project or get familiar with the newer LINX project by doing their Getting Started tutorial.

Can't believe the automated search when the question is asked is not turning up a bunch of answers to this. This is getting asked a couple times a month, but I guess people just don't want to hear the answer. Needs a sticky, IMO.

<EDIT>OP, you have already asked this question and had an answer on another thread. The answer does not change if you keep asking.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 49
(4,328 Views)

@rwunderl - thank you for your comment. I understood taht labview code wont run on the board but as you suggested that i could write code in arduino and make a front panel in Labview and interface them with a serial connection. Can you please elaborate the idea like how, using what hardware or software, like that somethings related to it.

Please, i am in dire need of the solution to this problem.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 49
(4,252 Views)