From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview with arduino

Solved!
Go to solution

first download LIFA as crossrulz suggested.

If you want to just use LabVIEW not Arduino sketch.

Or you can use VISA.

You can write your own Arduino sketch or use any example that are included in Ardunio IDE.

Which send or recives serial characters and gives some meaning full results.

and then in LabVIEW read or write serial characters using VISA.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 49
(1,357 Views)

Begin by downloading the LIFA project. Spend some time exploring the included examples and the LabVIEW code inside all of the LIFA functions. Also spend time looking at the included Arduino sketch. You will begin to see how they have done the architecture of the system, and realize that it is not very complicated. Even so, at least the groundwork has been done for you and you are free to extend it as necessary.

Once you are familiar with the code, you can design your interface to do whatever it is you need to do. Select an Arduino with capabilities that match your project. Maybe a MEGA or Uno is all you need. You can use any Arduino hardware that the LIFA sketch supports, or modify it to meet your requirements. From there, it's all about adding functionality to your interface. The serial data transfer details are taken care of by the LIFA code.

(1,330 Views)

Thank you.

I have already bought an arduino mega2560 and i have also downloaded LIFA project also LINX and i have tried a lot of stuff with these things.

i think i had found one video few weeks ago when i was struggling to learn arduino with labview, are you asking me to do something related to this stuff :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AddWr5cD-d0

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 49
(1,327 Views)

My Portuguese is a bit rusty (read: nonexistent), but yes, he seems to be using VISA to do serial communication. But I am saying that LIFA uses VISA under the hood already. All you have to do is use the LIFA VIs to do more high-level actions such as read digital inputs, set analog outputs, etc.

(1,323 Views)

but even if i use digital read, digital write, etc. high level functions, i need to send data to the board serially to do the processing. Right?

like in that video..

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 49
(1,313 Views)
If you are looking to do signal processing in LabVIEW, then yes. If you want to do most of the processing on the arduino, you should really ask that question on one of the arduino boards. That would require you writing the c code.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 49
(1,302 Views)

not exactly signal processing but just some comparison but it should be in real-time that's why i am pressing more upon the point of processing on the board.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 49
(1,297 Views)

What is real time to you?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 49
(1,293 Views)
Then do it on the arduino if that is what you want. Plenty of resources available, just not here.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 49
(1,291 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for your help with the topic of discussion. As suggested by you, i tried coding in arduino and its running successfully, i mean i am able to do what i wanted to. But i need your help for the second part, i am trying to communicate serially to arduino board through labview but i need labview as a front panel where i need to change values of two variables used in my arduino code.

The difficulty i am facing here is that i am not able to understand how can i make the board recognize that the values coming from labview are two values for different variables so that i can do a check in my code which will automatically change the values of those corresponding variables in the code.

I am posting a link here in  which they have done serial communcation but it is taking only one value.

http://physicslight.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/arduino-labview-serial-write-read/

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 49
(1,242 Views)