LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview version 6.1 failure:"linker.cpp", line 2302

Solved!
Go to solution

I have the labview version 6.1 failure:"linker.cpp", line 2302 fault.

Does any one can help me please ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,148 Views)

Hi norozi,

use a more recent LabVIEW version… 😄

(Or does your computer still run on Win95?)

Do you have any more information on that topic?

Or can you attach your VI?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,143 Views)

@norozi wrote:

I have the labview version 6.1 failure:"linker.cpp", line 2302 fault.

Does any one can help me please ?

This is a very old version, I used it around 2000. Also specify the OS version you are using. Any additional installation (NI-DAQ, ...)? Does it use to work or is it a new installation?

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,133 Views)

Wow so in modern versions I might suggest the heap peak window to figure out where the problem is, but I don't think that even existed back then.  You likely have a corrupted VI and reverting back using source code control, or a previous backup of the source will help.  If nothing else, you can try to re-create the VI from a blank one.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,123 Views)

Dear GerdW.

Thank you very much for you'r kindly attention.

My pc running on win xp.

The labview 6.1 is used for a camera vision system to detect bad tablets in a blister packing machine.

I know nothing about VI.

Would you like to help me please ?

I want to resolve my problem.

Best regards,

Abbas Norozi

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,114 Views)
Solution
Accepted by norozi

To be fair XP is a supported OS of LabVIEW 6.1.  Its actually the oldest version that is supported.

If you want help beyond us telling you what to do, you are going to have to hire someone with real LabVIEW knowledge to come on site and help.  They are going to ask you the same questions we have.

Is there source code control?

When did it stop working?

What has changed on the system?

Do you have a backup?

Can you describe what the VI does?

If you can't answer those questions for us, then you won't be able to answer those questions for an expert brought on site to help.  If you are looking for help finding experienced users I'd recommend checking out this page for locating an alliance partner in your area.

http://partners.ni.com/partner_locator/search.aspx

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,105 Views)
Solution
Accepted by norozi

Actually HeapPeak existed as far back as LabVIEW 4 or maybe even 3. However it is not usually helpful for linker errors as that is something in the LabVIEW compiler itself. HeapPeak can be sort of useful for Insane errors to locate the element that the compiler considers insane (and consequently delete and/or rewire it).

If this is a recent error on a VI that used to work before, it is most likely related to a corruption to the VI and the best course of action is to replace the VI from a backup (source code revision control would be a great advantage here). If it is something where no previous (working) state is known about, then it is going to be a tough cookie. This version is 14 years old and eventhough I still have some installation of that version somewhere it is several years ago that I started that up for more than some accidential reasons. I'm pretty sure NI would need to do some archeological work nowadays to come up with a system they could use to replicate such an error and the OP would need to be a pretty high profile customer that they would go through that sort of effort.

Maybe it is related to this error. It is the closest available in the publically accessible list of errors. A complete recompile of the entire source code tree is definitely one of the first actions to try. It may fix the problem or run into even more errors that could maybe point into a more specific location. Upgrading to a more recent LabVIEW version is another possibility although hampererd by the fact that the currently shipping version isn't officially supporting XP anymore and that the Vision software is one piece of software that underwent serious changes in the course of time and an update from 6.1 to the most recent version is most likely not a seamless operation.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,102 Views)

The more I think about rolfk's response the more I'm thinking this would likely grow into a few week long project, to multi-month project.  On the surface the problem is just this one VI how long does it take to just replace this VI?  But then getting the support of really old LabVIEW, with really old vision would be a huge issue and would need to upgrade LabVIEW, and toolkits, and OS, and possible PC, and then regression testing involved.  This can be a huge pain, and depending on the level of documentation, it can balloon even more.  

Start preparing your management for a lenthy and costly process, which could have been midigated by doing things the right way so many years ago with proper documentation, and devlopment practices.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,082 Views)