LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview runtime - slow pc start up

Hi am not sure if this will help or has any bearing?

but my laptop is a HP 620 32 bit running on Windows 7

Also, it might help to know what wireless network card Rainer is using?

since turning it off on startup sort of resolves the problem.

I'm using a Realtek RTL8191SE, driver version 2021.0.203.2012. (I've updated this though, with no results)....

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 55
(6,165 Views)

Hi,

I tried was was mentioned in the following thread but it did nor change much.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Windows-7-takes-15min-to-boot-after-installing-Labview-2012/m-p/2197...

In addition I'm having the problem up to now on 5 quite different PCs (Dell, HP, one built by bits an pieces, fromhalf a year to 4 years old) so I'm quite wure that a specific Networkcard driver is quite unlikely to be the problem.

However I think it must be a problem liked to teh fact that all of them are meber of a Windows Server 2003 domain. They boot to teh point where you need to log in and then they need 15 minutes...

best regards,

Rainer

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 55
(6,152 Views)

Hi to all...

maybe this helps to find the source of the problem: we did not install LabVIEW 2012 yet - but my colleage and me received and installed the update for the update service this week.

From that day, we both had the 20min-issue from starting to boot until the login prompt. I am running Win7 x86, my colleage is running Win7 64. Both PCs are running in a domain.

Kind regards,

Gerd

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 55
(6,132 Views)

Hi Gerg,

znaks for the info.

Interestingly the problem is only with Wind 7 PCs not with Win XP. I've got anothe  10 of them running with the saem LV2012 runtime installation and all of them show no problem - only the Win 7 machines and only if the Development Suit is not installed but only the runtim engine...

Rainer

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 55
(6,122 Views)

Hi all

I have a workaround for this problem to have normal boot until NI solves this issue, so please read.

I have reported this issue, and at the moment i'm in contact with labview tech help on this issue. In This thread http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Windows-7-takes-15min-to-boot-after-installing-Labview-2012/m-p/2197... I've reported that the problem was solved, but actually it only worked for a few days, then come back again

I did a lot of testing in my laptop, and found that this is related with the service "Network Store Interface Service" (NSIS). So disabling this service you have your problem solved, but it causes another problem, you loose the network.
This happens because the "DHCP Client" service depends on NSIS.

Also this issue seems to happen only when the PC is in a domain, and as rrawer stated, i'm also in a windows server domain (Windows SBS2008).
In my company there also two other PC's with the same problem, I don't think this is related to hardware, because the PC are all different, and have different ages, one of them has only a few months.

So i've found out that if you set to manual this services that depend on NSIS (DHCP Client, DNS Client, IP Helper, Network Connections, Network Local Awareness) and also put NSIS in Manual
You also need to disable the "Workstation" service that also depends on NSIS (why disable? Because there are 3 services that depend on Workstation service, they will force it to start, and then it will force NSIS to start, then long boot, if you really need any of the services dependent on Workstation, do the same as described for them)
Not also that you have to uncheck this services in the msconfig window if they are checked, then the PC will boot normaly without network.

Upon boot you should go to services and start DHCP Client to have Network(and the others if you really need them)
This will also force NSIS to start, and other services that depend on NSIS.
The first time the PC reboots you may need to set again these services to manual in the services window, i had to do it, then in the sebsequent boots they were already set to Manual
If you let just on of the dependent services in Automatic or Automatic (Delayed Start) it will force NSIS to Run and the boot time will go to +-15min

Because you need to manually start "DHCP Client" to have network, here is a solution to do it automatically after you log on:
1-Go to Control Panel and open Administrative Tools
2-Open Task Scheduller
3-On the right click on "Creat Basic Task"
4-In the first window give it a name ("DHCP" for instance) and press next
5-Choose "When I Logon" and press next
6-Choose "Start a Program" and press next
7-In the "Program/script" insert: net
8-In the "Arguments" insert: start "DHCP Client"
9-Press "Finish" and you're done

I will ask the NI guy that is working on this issue with me, to take a look on this thread to get more information abou the problem, so they really look at it as a real and generalized labview problem and not only as a localized problem, also I think more info about this problem will help them to find the real problem and a solution to it.

So I will ask you all that are having this problem to post on this thread this info that he also asked me:
1) A detailed description of your computer's hardware and network setup, so that we can try to reproduce it. This would include the computer make and model, the make and model of their ethernet card, etc.
2) Can you contact your network administrators or IT department to see if any Windows Updates or network changes have been made recently (in more general) ? And what kind of server you have in your domain?
3) Can you check when the .NET 4.0 framework was installed?

If we all help on this, surelly we will get this issue solved.

Thank you for the help

PS: Sorry for the long text, but is the only way to share with you all the info I've gathered until now

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 55
(6,119 Views)

Thanks mgouveia for the info and the workarround,

We just found another WORKARROUND if you do not need the additional options offered in teh LV2012f3 installtion:

I you install only the NI RT not th eother 4 options (Engine for environment variables, DataSocket, Deployable Liscense, USI) then it did not show the delayed boot on a machine (#2) wher it showed teh delayed boot when we used the full insatllation of teh RT2012f1 (updating from f1 to f3 did not show any differecne on another machine (#1)

I tried this on machine #3 and #5 which showed the problem after installing RT2012f1 and went away after uninstallting the LVRT again.

I just now tried the workarround above on machine #3 and #5 and it worked fine (3 reboots so far) - I will comment if it becomes unstable again.

On machine #1 I can confirm that the workarround you mentioned in your other thread did work for about 10 days then the long boot time was back again. We then uninstalled the LVRT and it works fine since.

On machine #4 we did also your workarround of the other thread and it was stable for about one or two weeks but now ist is back to 15minutes boot time but only in about 30% of the boots (strange behaviour).

It seems also that most of the machines show the delay before the logon screen but at least one (#5) shows it after the log on screen (also quite strange)

Hardware and domain integration:

• All machines are part of a windows SBS 2003 domain
  • All machines run on automatic updates (so they all are on the current MS update status)
  • ThesServer is updated manually every 4 to 8 weeks. It has not been updated about 4 weeks before the first incident of the problem (about 3 to 4 weeks ago) about 1 week ago I updated the SBS to see if this would help but it did not.

machine #1:

HP Z210

Core i7, 8Gb

Win 7 64bit

intel 82579LM

machine #2:

DELL Vostro 470

Core i7, 8Gb

Win 7 64 bit

Realtek 8111E

machine #3:

Dell Precission T3400

Core 2 duo E8500, 8Gb

Win 7 64bit

Broadcom net extreme 57xxx

machine #4:

HP 6200 Pro MT

Core i5 2400, 4Gb

Win 7 32bit

intel 82579LM

machine 5:

no name,

ASUS P8H61-MLX Mainboard

Win 7 32bit, 2Gb

Realtec GBE

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 55
(6,092 Views)

Hi all,

i have the same problem on my laptop with LabView 2012 v12.0f3. It 's take 20 min to start after logon screen.

TOSHIBA Satellite Pro C660-2KM

Core i5, 4G

Win 7 Pro 32bit

Realtek PCIe FE Family

Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter

Connected on a Windows Server 2003 domain.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 55
(6,026 Views)

Hi Ben74,

Can oyu try to uninstall the LV2012 runtime and reintsall it but only install the first option (Labview Runtime itself) but not teh othe r4 options lited ?

This worked on my amchines so far.

Is the delay before or after you can log on?

Rainer

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 55
(6,022 Views)

After uninstalling Labview RTE 7.0 (without re-install it), I still have the same problem. i have to wait 20min between the opening session and the desktop display.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 55
(5,982 Views)

I am sorry to tell you that we also have this behaviour and you can also read some details in the following thread

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Issues-with-windows-7-after-Labview-2012-installation/td-p/2180470

We have been in contact with NI with no easy solution up to now.

Only a manualy changing the some registry settings helps to solfe a sturt up time for the PC of 20minutes and more.

This hase been introduced with LV2012 f2 upwards.

1)      Service „NI mDNS responder“ from automatic auf manual, stop eventually (if running)

2)      Cmd -> regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\WinSock2\Parameters\NameSpace_Catalog5\Catalog_Entries\000000000005 ?

64bit: Catalog_Entries64 …

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\mDNS Responder\nimdnsNSP.dll

Enabled=0

This is a solution but not easy to handle on a customers computer.

Best regrards

Nottilie

Gernot Hanel
IONICON Analytik Gesellschaft m.b.H.
Message 30 of 55
(5,975 Views)