From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview runtime - slow pc start up

Hi Luke,

Resurrecting this old thread, I have tried the method you describe, but not having much success.

I can see the correct ProviderID in the registry, I can see how it should be re-shuffled to get the GUID, but I cannot actually run the command you described.

I have tried by coping the GUID directly from the nimdnsNSPTool.exe -list output, but it does not seem to work, I get FAILED (10013) response. Do you have any tips on what may be wrong here? 

EDIT: it seems I have to run this from a command prompt that has been opened with Administrator priviliges

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 55
(4,635 Views)

Hey Neil,

Did the workaround end up being successful?

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 55
(4,607 Views)

SUper simple answer via VIDEO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asAvRUq9FiE

Totally works!

If you like it please LIKE the video and if you know something ELSE please make a reply and a video to show us how to fix this problem..

How many other folks out there long for LabVIEW 6.1, the FAASTEST, most efficient cherriest version of LabVIEW EVER!!??

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 55
(4,459 Views)

Dang! Ieft out stuff in the bottom of the video that folks often do not notice..

How to fix slow boot times on LabVIEW

I learned this from Britton and Luke at NI and put it all in a video so anyone can refer to it should they need it in the future.

If you find this video useful please "LIKE" it by ticking the thumbs up icon...

Here is my Cheat Sheet for your use...

Go to Windows and search Services
Click on gear

Sort by name

FInd these three and Right CLick Properties and select Automatic Delay Start

NI Device Loader
NI Service Locator
NI Configuration Manager

Microsoft Security Essentials is the AV on this 64 bit PC..

We will want to add National to the exception so it does not spend time checking it out.

Settings/Excluded Files and exceptions.

Add NI folders here:
C:\Program Files\National Instrument
and
C:\Program Files
(x86)\National Instruments

How to look at the LOG...

Start/ and search Event Viewer

Then Applications and Services Logs
Then Microsoft
Then Windows
Then Diagnostics-Performance

Your full path is this:

Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/Diagnostics-Performance

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 55
(4,457 Views)

Nice to see that this problem got "priority" in 2012 (http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/labview-runtime-slow-pc-start-up/m-p/2263060#M716777). Today is 2015 - and it's still present and can be solved by the same method (disabling the NI mDNS component).

Message 45 of 55
(3,798 Views)

I can also confirm this registry fix. I use a lot of virtual machines, and it took me a long time to track this down. It started manifesting on a LabVIEW 2012 virtual machine, but it was inconsistent across several instances of that VM on various hosts. It also happened on LabVIEW 2013 and 2014 VMs, again, inconsistently across various hosts. Even after thinking I fxed it, it would re-appear.

This registry fix definitely did the trick. The symptom was slight different on a VM using VMWare Player. I experienced that the VM would boot as normal (fairly quick), but the Start Button/Orb and taskbar were missing for about 15-30 minutes, and then would eventually appear. After implementing the registry fix, I have rebooted various VMs on various hosts and have not seen the problem again.

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 55
(3,286 Views)

Breating some new life in this topic I come here with the concluding answer (especially for 64-bit):

The executable to use is nimdnsNSPTool.exe

These lines you can include in your deployment:

"C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\mDNS Responder\nimdnsNSPTool.exe" -remove "981DF75B-898E-4c0c-B01C-5F181F817889"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\Shared\mDNS Responder\nimdnsNSPTool.exe" -remove "981DF75B-898E-4c0c-B01C-5F181F817889"

This will remove both instances of the problematic Service and make sure you can log out and in in an orderly fashion.

Cheers!

Message 47 of 55
(3,141 Views)

I would love to use this method because we are installing 70 computers in the next weeks and always have to do a manual regedit afterwards.

Where can I include those lines in the deployment? I did find "Start program after installation", but i can only start one program and have to include this program into the project. Is there anything I'm missing? Using LV 2013.

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 55
(2,990 Views)

depending on how you need to run them, you may be able to string together a couple executables in a batch file:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ED185175604CAA86862579BA00593002

Message 49 of 55
(2,967 Views)

Hi,

We are using these lines in our installation:

(this is just a small part of the installation script)

:: Removing nimdnsNSP

set nimdnsNSPTool=National Instruments\Shared\mDNS Responder\nimdnsNSPTool.exe
if not exist "%ProgramFiles%\%nimdnsNSPTool%" goto nop
echo .
echo Removing nimdnsNSP
"%ProgramFiles%\%nimdnsNSPTool%" -remove "981DF75B-898E-4c0c-B01C-5F181F817889"
if not %errorlevel%==0 goto error
if not exist "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\%nimdnsNSPTool%" goto end
echo .
echo Removing nimdnsNSP (32-bit instance)
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\%nimdnsNSPTool%" -remove "981DF75B-898E-4c0c-B01C-5F181F817889"
if not %errorlevel%==0 goto error
echo Done!
goto end

0 Kudos
Message 50 of 55
(2,857 Views)