From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview precision

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to a read value (39.198943) from a text file.  Labview reports the value as 39.1989.  I wrote a simple VI to explore this issue.  When I add 0.198943 to 39 the answer reported is 39.1989.  There must be some setting somewhere that I do not have correct.  But I can't figure out how to make this problem go away.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,365 Views)

Your display format is probably set to 6 significant figures.  Try increasing that or setting it to 6 digits of precision.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,363 Views)

What exactly do mean by "display precision?"  I changed the "representation" of the indicators with no improvement.  A screenshot is found on the third slide.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,336 Views)

right-click...display format... (nothing to do with representation).

This is a purely cosmetic issue and has nothing to do with the underlying data in the wire.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,323 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author todd_westley

@todd_westley wrote:

What exactly do mean by "display precision?"  I changed the "representation" of the indicators with no improvement.  A screenshot is found on the third slide.

6dig1.PNG

6dig2.PNG

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,308 Views)

I never used the phrase "display precision".

I said display format.  You have two ways of selecting the display.  And RTSVLU shows both of them.  One is the number of significant digits.  (I used the common phrase (significant figures".)  Your was set for 6, which is why you got 39.1234    If you set it for digits of precision, then you can get 39.123456, the number of digits of precision after the decimal point.

Click on the help button in that dialog to learn more.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,304 Views)

@todd_westley wrote:

Just FYI, please post images or vis directly, not in a PowerPoint slideshow.  For front panel images you can use the Windows snip tool, and for code you can either just post your vi or create a snippet and post that image.

Edit:  I almost forgot... or you can be fancy and use the LAVA snippet tool and do both at the same time!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,296 Views)

@BowenM wrote:

@todd_westley wrote:

Just FYI, please post images or vis directly, not in a PowerPoint slideshow.  For front panel images you can use the Windows snip tool, and for code you can either just post your vi or create a snippet and post that image.

Edit:  I almost forgot... or you can be fancy and use the LAVA snippet tool and do both at the same time!

Or even simpler, just attach the VI (possibly after making the current values the default). 😄

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,282 Views)