LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview on vista x64

Is there anyboby who managed to install Labview 8.2 on Vista x64?

When I try to install Labview 8.2 PDS on Vista Ultimate x64, I get the following error message:
The Windows Installer engine is corrupt. To attempt to resolve this issue, please register the engine by running regsvr32.exe on msi.dll.

I don't know how to solve this, neither does the Dutch NI support team. Could somebody advise me how to solve this problem? I just want to run Labview, I don't need the device driver cd.

The Dutch NI support team advises me to wait for Labview 8.2.1 that will be Vista compatible. Does anybody know when this Vista compatible version will be available for download / SSP customers?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(10,329 Views)

LabVIEW 8.2 doesn't support 64 bit operating systems.  That's why you're receiving this error.

NI announced on the 11th that it will be Vista ready with not only LabVIEW, but also many drivers and updates to be released shortly after the retail release of Vista - probably early in Feb of 2007.  The dates roughly coincide with the Feb Driver CD release; however, we do not have any specifics about which products or drivers are released or when they will be released.

TheDillo
Message 2 of 5
(10,292 Views)
Also, check out this post by Lycangeek.
TheDillo
Message 3 of 5
(10,290 Views)
Well, I'm not certain what all has been officially announced, but here is some useful facts concerning Vista.

1. There was one of those dreaded changes that happened right before Vista RTMed where a part of our installer framework no longer worked. Unfortunately, it was the framework that 8.20 shipped out with - and affects 64-bit Vista. That is the problem you are running into. LabVIEW 8.2.1 is going to be available soon and fixes this problem...I can't give a date on 8.2.1 until it's official announced - but let's just say that 8.2.1 has been closely associated with Vista, and Vista itself is going to be widely available on Jan 30th. No - I'm not saying it's shipping Jan 30th, but it gives you a bracket.

2. 32 vs. 64-bit support: Kernel components (drivers) must be the same bitness as the OS - thus, we are porting most of the drivers (see the list here) to both versions of Vista. HOWEVER, all user mode components are staying 32-bit for now. Thus LabVIEW, CVI, etc. as well as the user-mode API components of DAQmx, VISA, etc. are going to run in 32-bit mode only.

3. WOW Support: When running on a 64-bit Vista, you can run 32-bit applications under WOW (Windows on Windows). Thus you can still use LabVIEW, DAQmx, etc. on 64-bit Vista. BTW - the performance for WOW is very, very good - this isn't an emulation layer but a feature of both the AMD and Intel processors.

4. I strongly recommend LabVIEW 8.2.1 for Vista development. The earlier versions to "mostly" work through the backwards compatibility layer, so you can definately install them and use them. We have found various issues that needed to be fixed (espeically on 64-bit Vista), but you can do quite a lot with LV 7 & 8 (only two I tried) on Vista. If you have built applications, do make sure you test them under Vista for their own support level - there are always gotchas on a new OS, no matter how much backward compat. work has been done.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Message 4 of 5
(10,266 Views)
So LabVIEW 8.2.1 has come out with drivers. I have a 64 bit machine with Vista, and have installed the myriad of OS updates. I started developing my cRIO app on WinXP, and then tried to move it over to the Vista machine. In the project window, I get a yellow triangle where the cRIO device (RT box, actually) used to be with an error warning "module missing" or something like that. I have LV, FPGA, RT and the cRIO drivers installed. Do you know what I might be missing?

I uninstalled all NI SW on the box. Then I re-installed the components listed above. Same problem. One note: I don't see what version of cRIO is installed on the system from MAX. It doesn't show up in the list of software.

Thanks,
Derek
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(9,827 Views)