LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview for linux (Ubuntu 64-bit)

Solved!
Go to solution

I had the same problem on my machine (Ubuntu 10.04, 64 bit). It seems to be solved installing getlibs and the proper 32 bit library. Here come the steps:

dowload getlibs from here:

http://frozenfox.freehostia.com/cappy/

then from terminal issue:

sudo getlibs -l libbz2.so.1

If everything works, ./INSTALL now works...

cheers,

Andrea

Message Edited by crear_unifi on 05-13-2010 10:47 AM
Message 11 of 28
(23,370 Views)
Thank you for posting that. I also had this problem but your solution works just fine. Great!
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 28
(23,340 Views)
Haven't had time to try that solution yet but I am encouraged by your success.  Hopefully I can get to it in the next day or two.  I will let you know what happens...
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 28
(23,301 Views)

Huzzah, :smileyvery-happy: LabVIEW now works in 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04!  Special thanks to crear_unifi!

Here are the details of the steps I took:

1. Download getlibs as per crear_unifi's instructions above.
  2. Open a terminal window
  3. Find the getlibs file you downloaded and change to that folder.  convert it to an executable. (sudo chmod +x getlibs)
  4. Run getlibs and allow it to install the library (sudo ./getlibs -l libbz2.so.1)
  5. Put the LabVIEW DVD into the drive and mount it.  Note that the DVD drive is the second drive in my computer (sr1).  If you only have the one drive it will probably be sr0.  You can also change the directory to mount to. (sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/sr1 /cdrom) 
  6. I had to search the DVD to find the install file.  It turned out to be in /cdrom/linux/labview.  Change to that directory (cd /cdrom/linux/labview)
  7. Run the install script (sudo ./INSTALL)
  8. Select the appropriate options as they appear.  I selected yes to everything.  I was surprised how fast the install went compared to the Windows version.
  9. Unmount the DVD and remove (cd ~)(sudo umount /cdrom)
  10. Close the terminal window
  11. National Instruments is now listed in the Applications menu.  Click and then select LabVIEW to run.

Cheers!

Message 14 of 28
(23,266 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Pekko

Thanks for you all for the answers and help.  The solution was eventually really easy.  Namely, the helper binaries on the installation CD, ie. binaries in CD://Linux/labview/bin directory, are linked against 32-bit library libbz2.so.1.  But in Ubuntu, instead of libbz2.so.1 there is libbz2.so.1.0 (it is in the package lib32bz2-1.0).  The trivial and working solution is to make an additional symbolic link with

cd /usr/lib32

sudo ln -s libbz2.so.1.0 libbz2.so.1
 sudo ldconfig

After that the INSTALL script works fine, no need to run any getlib scripts.  NI engineers should correct this once for all by compiling statically linked binaries for INSTALL script to use.

BUT there are still serious issues with hardware support. Namely, NI headquarters answered:

The main issue with getting any NI software to work on Ubuntu
  9.10 is that it uses the 2.6.31 kernel, which does not export
  the init_mm symbol. The problem is that our software uses the
  init_mm symbol, and thus won't load if this symbol does not
  exist. Init_mm stopped getting exported in kernel version
  2.6.28 onwards, so any distribution that uses these kernel
  versions will not work with our software unfortunately. I
  believe this is something we're addressing with the next
  release of NI-KAL. KAL needs to be compatible with a
  distribution/kernel before any of our other software will work.

It seems to me, that the Spring 2010 version still depends on init_mm symbol, so we have to wait for Fall 2010 before doing any real work with LabVIEW in Linux ;(

cheers,

Pekko

Message 15 of 28
(23,229 Views)

i have a dll that i want to convert it to .so file so that i can use it in Suse Linux by calling it through Call library function.Suse linux version  that i use is 64 bit.so is there labview version of linux for 64 bit?cos i will be compiling the c program in linux which creates a .so file of 64 bit format, but i think i have labview of 32 bit,so can i call the 64 bit .so file in 32 labview linux version?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 28
(22,680 Views)

Pekko wrote:

It seems to me, that the Spring 2010 version still depends on init_mm symbol, so we have to wait for Fall 2010 before doing any real work with LabVIEW in Linux ;(

Fall has come early 🙂 NI-KAL 2.0 [1] will compile against the 2.6.31 kernel, but you'll still need to do some hand-holding [2] with the installer since it expects RedHat or SuSE and not Ubuntu.

[1] NI-KAL 2.0

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2108/lang/en

[2] NI Linux Users Community: NI-KAL 2.0 and openSUSE 11.3?

http://decibel.ni.com/content/message/18593#18593

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 28
(22,669 Views)

@larshana wrote:

i have a dll that i want to convert it to .so file so that i can use it in Suse Linux by calling it through Call library function.Suse linux version  that i use is 64 bit.so is there labview version of linux for 64 bit?cos i will be compiling the c program in linux which creates a .so file of 64 bit format, but i think i have labview of 32 bit,so can i call the 64 bit .so file in 32 labview linux version?

It is not polite to hijack someone else's thread that talks about something completely different. You have spammed several boards, hijacking other people's threads. STOP THIS. We do not like board spammers. Start your own thread.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 28
(22,666 Views)

Just a thought.  You could use Virtual Box running XP.  Then you could probably run LabView?  Check out http://www.virtualbox.org/

Virtual Box allows a host system ( Linux, Windows, Solaris ) to run a guest OS ( Linux, Windows, Solaris, etc ).

I use my Ubuntu LTS 10.4 to host the android OS.  Also, looking at doing the same thing for the BlackBerry.

more ways than one to skin a cat

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 28
(22,219 Views)

Those 11 steps unfortunately do not work for me...  Could anybody help me, please?

I use a 32-bit Ubuntu 10.10, wich contains a newer getlibs than the one is downloaded from http://frozenfox.freehostia.com/cappy/ . I tried to install LV 8.2 pds.

I ran the install script (sudo ./INSTALL), however Ubuntu continuously complained because of the .rpm files...

Then I gave it up, and converted labview82-core_8.2-1_i386.rpm with alien to .deb file:   labview82-core_8.2-1_i386.deb.

Then I opened it:

balint@dell-Lx:~/Asztal/LV82inst$ sudo dpkg -i labview82-core_8.2-1_i386.deb
[sudo] password for balint:

At first sight it's done well, all the files were created in the /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-8.2 folder:

balint@dell-Lx:/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-8.2$ ls
cintools   labview  nisvcloc  README.html  templates  vi.lib
help       linux    patchlib  README.txt   unix       www
instr.lib  menus    project   resource     user.lib

However labview cannot be launched:

balint@dell-Lx:/usr/local/natinst$ LabVIEW-8.2/labview
LabVIEW-8.2/labview: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-8.2/linux/libOSMesa.so.4: undefined symbol: _glapi_add_entrypoint

:mansad: What is missing? Could anybody help me, please?

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 28
(21,757 Views)