LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview emergency stop operation

Hello,

I have a system that reads Digital converted information on quantities like length, width, dsiplacement It works on the hardware start/stop switch. Also it has a system which has set number of cycles. On reaching a set limit of cycle the operation ends

Now, if I am planning to implement an emergency stop button in the hardware that when pressed stops the system immediately in between and stops reading any new data after the button press until resumed using Start/Stop switch. Also, it should indicate on the LABView screen that the emergency button has been pressed. 

Can anyone help me with it?

P.S : I am also looking ahead to implement it using the SCB-68 board

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,928 Views)

What specifically are you asking? Do you want to know how to wire your emergency stop switch into your SCB-68? To which board is the SCB-68 connected? Are you asking how to structure your LabVIEW code to pause when the emergency stop switch is pushed? You'll need to share your current code in order for us to suggest how you might change it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,917 Views)

Without knwoing any details I would siggest you wire your E-stop to do two things.

First and formost it must disconnect power or otherwise stop the test and powerdown any UUT or equipment. and LATCH in that state regardless of your program.

Second is should signal your program that E-stops has been activated. This can be a simple as using a DIO input that is constantly monitored by your program. If the DIO changes states then your program should gracefully stop.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,908 Views)

Nathand, to answer your questions first of all I would like to tell you that I am yet to implement using SCB-68. Secondly, yes, I want to add an emergency stop button to my structure that should basically prevent talking my layout to stop taking any more readings. Snapshot of the front panel of LABView screen used in our company is attached(1.png).Currently, also, I am attaching a part of the block diagram which reads different parameters in the front panel (2.png)

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,892 Views)

It would help if you rephrase your question as a specific problem. "Can anyone help me with it?" is a question you might ask an on-site consultant who you're paying to work with you. However, as a question on a forum, you won't get much help. We don't know how your code works and what your system does, you don't know (or at least haven't told us) what hardware you're using (the SCB-68 is only a breakout box that can connect to many different boards), and the small amount of code you showed tells us nothing other than that the author of that code doesn't know better than to avoid stacked sequence structures.

If your code is heavily dependent on sequence structures, you're going to have to to rewrite it substantially in order to pause when the E-STOP button is pressed.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,860 Views)

The fact that you want an e-stop screams that you need a good state machine that regularly checks the e-stop status.  This will require some rearchitecting of your code.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,814 Views)