LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview 64 or labview 32 bit?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I have a new 6 bit pc and an old 32 bit pc and I have to use both of them. If I install on the 64 bit machine labview 64 bit, when I save a vi, can it be opened on the 32 bit machine?

With this kind of problem, do you suggest me to install labview64 or labview32 in the 64 bit pc?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,502 Views)

With very rare exceptions vi's created in LabVIEW 64 bit can be opened and run on with LabVIEW 32 bit and vice versa (I imagine if you are triing to access a few dozen Gbits you have other problems)

Toolkit and addon support for 64 bit has been lagging.  Personally I run LabVIEW 32bit IDEs on Windows 7 x64 machines and this works well for my client's.  FOR NOW- It will change in the future.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 12
(4,494 Views)

You can do development on x64 or x32 and then open with the other. You just have to make sure that any components used are in both Labviews. That is if you are using an instrument driver in LVx64 you must also have a copy in the x32 Instr.lib directory for the LVx32. I developing on both on the same computer and jump back and forth quite a bit. one thing to note, not all the toolkits and drivers exist for the x64 version yet. For instance the Database Connectivity and Report Generation toolkits do no work with LVx64. it's up to you and dependant on what tools you are using with Labview and if they are available for LVx64.

Message 3 of 12
(4,485 Views)

Here is the link to the NI page showing what is and is not supported by LV x64.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/10383/en/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,480 Views)

I would also recommend using source code control which will make switching between machines much easier. All of the code you check in should be marked to separate the complied code from the source. This should make the switch between the two systems very easy and seamless.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 5 of 12
(4,479 Views)

1) Sorry for my ignorance, but how can I select "source code control"? (I am using LV2012)

2) As far as I understood both 32 and 64 work on a 64 bit machine? Which is your suggestion? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,465 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author gnappo

For source code control I would use SVN. I have also heard some very good things about git. Both are open source and are independent of LabVIEW. A simple Google search will find the installs for both as well as information specific to using them with LabVIEW.

There is a setting in the options under the Environment section to configure LabVIEW to separate compiled code from new files. I have attached 2 VIs (very crude since these are just basic utilities and we did not make them pretty) which you can use to list the status of existing files or set the option.

As for which version of LabVIEW to use I am saying use both. As noted earlier you will need to have copies of whatever drivers you are using for both versions. For the code you develop you should be able to use it in either the 32 or 64 bit version and the seapration of the compiled code should mean that it will easily transfer between systems. Your source code control won't see the files as being changed, unless you actually do make a change, since the compiled code is actually cached on each PC. The source will be the same in either the 32 bit or 64 bit version.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 7 of 12
(4,456 Views)

Please, from this page

http://download.ni.com/support/softlib/labview/labview_development_system/2012%20SP1/

could you say to me which is the official 64 bit version of labview 2012sp1?

Because there are 2 different files with 3 different downloader.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,439 Views)

Start here as the downloads have info.  http://www.ni.com/trylabview/

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,419 Views)
The link you provided to me is about labview 2013, which I don't want to install.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,412 Views)