LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview 6.1 win2000 crashes using datasocket

We have an old application and the PC was broken. So we installed a new one.

LV: 6.1

There is an Siemens CP5613 used to connect to Profibus. To acces it we use OPC Server. We connect via Datasocket read/write to this OPC-Server.

There is a loop running in the background that reads and writes all inputs to OPC(50ms Wait between iterations). If we now change values written to a drive(14byte array), it takes about 10 seconds until Labview completely freezes. Very often also windows then also crashes with blue screen.

If I remove the Whileloop from this VI and use the continous run button to loop, then it is running stable(but slower).

The fact, that it takes some seconds to crash, and that it only crashes within while loop seems to be a memory problem within Datasocket VI's.

We already tried:

- new CP5613 card

- reintall Labview 6.1 Runtime

- to use LabVIEW 7

- use longer wait between iterations.

- run VI reentrant and non reentrant.

- run with labview, run with exe

--> problem keeps the same.

But there should be a way o get it working, because the old PC did it.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,223 Views)

HI,

it is most probably a memory problem.

I would suggest to test the memory with MemTest86 for defective memory sectors.

But in general is the combination between Win 2000 and LV 6.1 very historic (13 years) and is not supported anymore.

Roman Rolnik
Application Engineer
NI Germany
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,180 Views)

Probably some task/resource is always opened on each loop iteration.

When VI finishes, labview closes that resource - that is why everything is fine if you use continuous rerun vi.

It is also possible that you have some kind of "clear" command in initialization (before the loop) and during the loop you do not connect to the open resource, but reopen it without clearing. It would lead to the same results.

Some kind of continuously built array is also possible.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,164 Views)

The problem is the Datasockets. With LV6 they were not ready for prime time. Period. I still remember following an NI recommendation to use them, and I remember spending  an entire weekend at a customer site rewriting the DAQ part of my application when I found out they didn't really work very well.

If they worked on your old computer, consider yourself lucky -- and your luck just ran out.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,148 Views)

Thank you very much for all replys.

At the end we installed a second PC with newer Profibus hardware and Windows XP and it was working without any trouble.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,117 Views)