LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview 5 software migration to modern labview and pc

Hi,

I have been stuck with trying to move a labview software from an old windows 98 pc to a newer windows 7 32-bit pc. The old windows 98 pc was running labview 5 for this software and it uses a PCI-GPIB/+ card to send and read data to some camac modules. This software has a few packages that it depends on such as NI spy, NI 488.2 1.7, T&M explorer. Currently if I try to run the software with the converted VI's by using labview 8 as an intermediate step errors out on the initial part where it tries to find the 488.2 interface card. I have however installed the drivers for this newer version of labview 2014 32-bit but still no luck. Has anyone had a similar problem or has any advice on how I would migrate this software succesfully? I do not really want to re-do the entire program as there is no time for it. This is a really confusing issue for me since I never used such old hardware and software combination. Please let me know if you would like more information.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,584 Views)
You need to provide the error codes/messages that you get and attaching the code would also help. What is the version of NI-GPIB that you installed now?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,579 Views)

@santib77 wrote:

Hi,

I have been stuck with trying to move a labview software from an old windows 98 pc to a newer windows 7 32-bit pc. The old windows 98 pc was running labview 5 for this software and it uses a PCI-GPIB/+ card to send and read data to some camac modules. This software has a few packages that it depends on such as NI spy, NI 488.2 1.7, T&M explorer. Currently if I try to run the software with the converted VI's by using labview 8 as an intermediate step errors out on the initial part where it tries to find the 488.2 interface card. I have however installed the drivers for this newer version of labview 2014 32-bit but still no luck. Has anyone had a similar problem or has any advice on how I would migrate this software succesfully? I do not really want to re-do the entire program as there is no time for it. This is a really confusing issue for me since I never used such old hardware and software combination. Please let me know if you would like more information.

Kind regards.

It may be that the GPIB card is not supported in Windows 7.

You need to check that first before you do anything else.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,562 Views)

Hi Dennis Knutson,

Thank you for getting back to me. I have attached the error message, I am currently using NI-488.2 14.0 for my GPIB solutions. I have also attached the VIs in a zipped folder with the required libraries. The main VI is banc-test-cables-Atlas-CERN-2006-02-21. Please let me know if you require more information.

Kind regards. 

labview error.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,551 Views)

Hi nyc,

I really hope that, that is not the case. Although I am using the pre 2003 NI PCI-GPIB card so it may very well be the case. However I can see the card in the windows device manager and the NI-MAX and NI-VISA see it aswell with no problems. If it does turn out not to be compatible then I also have one of the NI GPIB-USB-HS interfaces lying around. Perhaps I could use this instead but will I have to reconfigure the VI's signifcantly? or will it work without modifying the VI's ? and also I need two of those interfaces for full deployment, hopefully I can debug the program using just one and if I am confident enough I can find another one somewhere.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,545 Views)

@santib77 wrote:

Hi nyc,

I really hope that, that is not the case. Although I am using the pre 2003 NI PCI-GPIB card so it may very well be the case. However I can see the card in the windows device manager and the NI-MAX and NI-VISA see it aswell with no problems. If it does turn out not to be compatible then I also have one of the NI GPIB-USB-HS interfaces lying around. Perhaps I could use this instead but will I have to reconfigure the VI's signifcantly? or will it work without modifying the VI's ? and also I need two of those interfaces for full deployment, hopefully I can debug the program using just one and if I am confident enough I can find another one somewhere.

Kind regards.

Having used the NI GPIB-USB-HS adapters recently I would try to avoid using them ever again.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,536 Views)
The error had nothing to do with gpib since it is being thrown by the new file function. As the message states, check your path.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,526 Views)

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for pointing this out to me. Luckily this was the source of the problem and not the migration to a newer platform or gpib communications. The software now runs perfectly as intended. Now for a final  question, this software will eventually be needed in a remote place where it would be much easier to interface with a laptop instead. However laptops do not have the pci-gpib card for the interface so if I were to use the usb-gpib adaptor do you think it will work with relative ease? I understand nyc has already shed his thought on the matter, but perhaps you have a different experience. Many thanks again!

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,474 Views)
The change to a USB type converter should be absolutely transparent. It's the same driver and the same functions. Many problems are associated with power to the hub and that is a Windows configuration.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,458 Views)