cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labVIEW lego mindstorm

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All

Firstly I have only starting using LabVIEW and I am doing a project using it to program a DAQ and a Lego MINDSTORMS at the same time.

I had downloaded LabVIEW 2010 and then came across a LabVIEW for lego mindstorms. When downloading the LabVIEW for Lego Mindstorms i lost the LabVIEW 2010 edition. It is very easy to use the mindstorm addition to program the nxt but in my project i am also using a NI DAQ and need the DaqAssist add-on also. Would I be better to go back to the 2010 edition and try find an add-on for mindstorms or is it possible to get a daqAssist add-on for labVIEW lego mindstorms.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,497 Views)

Hi Ails26,

I would suggest going back to the full LabVIEW 2010 install and then add the tool kit for the MindStorm as this will give you the full features of DAQ and the MindStorm.  The MindStorm tool kit can be downloaded here. This setup will be more advanced than LabVIEW for lego MindStorms but the things you can achieve will be much better.

I recently created a MindStorm app that allowed control of a Mindstrom via Bluetooth from the gyro data from an Iphone.  It also streamed a video feed back to the computer via a wireless IP camera. This can be found and download here if you are interested.

If you have any further questions then please don't hesitate to post back and I will be happy to help.

Best regards

Matt Surridge

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,463 Views)

Thank you so much if I have any problems I'll post again

Ailish

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,455 Views)

I looked at ur code its fantastic but a million miles away from my standard of programming. I was wondering is it possible to have one motor moving a lego arm up and down at a certain speed for a certain length of time in LabVIEW

I want the arm to apply pressure on a sensor but I want it to apply the pressure in stages to get different readings

Please help

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,414 Views)

Hi Ails26,

What platform are you using ot program your NXT are you using the full version of LabVIEW with the Mindstorms tool kit or are you using software?

Regards

Matt Surridge

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,396 Views)

I am using the full version of labVIEW with the mindstorms tool kit.

Ailish

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,385 Views)

Hi Alis26,

That's great,  if you open LabVIEW and then right click on the block diagram and navigate to the NXT robotics pallet (this contains all the NXT functions you will need to program the NXT).

If you select NXT I/O you will find all the functions for controlling various inputs and outputs.  The Motor VI is the one we are after this allows you to specify a power and direction as well as what motor to control.  Context help (Ctrl + H) will give you some more information on a particular VI's inputs.

If you would like to look at some examples then LabVIEW contains many examples that will be of benefit to you.

First you need to open the example finder by selecting Help > Find Examples once the example finder opens select the search tab and type in NXT this will bring up all the NXT examples.

I hope this helps you, post back if you have any further questions

Best regards

Matt Surridge

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,373 Views)

Hey is the LabVIEW NXT addon for LabVIEW called Robolab in the functions palette? it seems when I write a program seen to be for the RCX

Also it says that I can access examples an I need to reinstall example how do u do that?

Allis

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,350 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ails26

When I do try and add a component eg motor1 a screen pops up that goes thru files saying loading and searching if it cant find a file it asks me to locate it an if i cant find it and press cancels it! an continues on with its search thru files. it the end the component will appear on the block diagram but the program wont run

HELP>>>>:-(

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,345 Views)

This article is intended to indicate the installation and configuration process between LabVIEW and educational robot Lego Mindstorms NXT wirelessly, this will enable LabVIEW developers in having a mobile platform for the development of projects and autonomous robots, we need to install some programs the computer:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-32448    

5.png

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,129 Views)