From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keithley 4687 GPIB

Hi community,
I would like to consult with you about LabVIEW monitoring and control for Keithley 6487 picoampermeter / voltage source.
I am applying voltage and reading a current measurements, presented on a graph.
I would like to know how can I limit the measured current to 100nA and make the software to shut down the instrument through VISA.
Also I would like to know how can i save the current data for later data analysis.

Thank for your help.
I've attached the basic virtual interface that I built.
Pini Medved.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,949 Views)

Pini,

I haven't used this instrument, but I've been looking through the manual for it at this link:

http://www.testequity.com/documents/pdf/keithley/manuals/6485-6487-m.pdf

All of my answers are solely based off what I found in the manual rather than actually having tried this.

It looks like you have a few different questions. Let's break them down:

1.  How can I limit the measured current to 100 nA?

Check out page 65 of the manual. It gives an example of the SCPI commands that need to be sent to perform a current measurement, including setting the current limit and telling the instrument to read one sample.

2.  How can I shutdown the instrument through VISA?

Looking through the manual, it seems that there is no way to programmatically turn off the instrument, as far as I can see. You have to manually push the power button.

3.  How can I save the data to disk for later analysis?

There are many methods of saving data. After all of your data is collected, you can write the data to a delimited spreadsheet file, a txt file, or a TDMS file. There are many shipping examples in LabVIEW that show how to save data to a file.

Sincerely,

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,905 Views)

Hi pinim,

make the software to shut down the instrument through VISA.

When this Keithley is a "voltage source" you most likely can turn off it's output. Even when this is not implemented, which I doubt, you can set the voltage to zero…

Again: the commands to do so are found in the manual of the device!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,891 Views)