LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep getting "lvanlys.dll is not a valid LabVIEW file"

ugh i feel so bad cause i keep posting questions and it seems like i'm not doing anywork. let me start of by saying i spent the last 3 hours searching the forum and google and continually testing and nothing works 😞

basically i used lv's built in application builder to build a .exe file so i can run the program from any computer. so i successfully compile, install lv 8.0 (was compiled on 8.0) RTE onto computer and try to run and keeps giving me "lvanlys.dll is not a valid LabVIEW file". when i create the exec, lvanlys.dll is automatically put in a support folder so i don't know what the problem is

i've tried moving around lvanlys.dll to diff directories including RTE, adding missing files as dynamic VIs, adding separate files into project instead of lib, and combinations of them none work. reinstalled RTE. one build the errors i got was "to fix this error must use full development version". i don't really understand what that means...i have to install the entire VI instead of just the RTE?

another thing, the computer that this doesn't work on originally had 6.1 installed. i just installed the 8.0 RTE engine over it. i have tried replacing
lvanlys.dll and didn't work. tested with couple other computers without 6.1 and it worked fine. computer i am on now has 6.1 and 8.0 and it works fine. so i'm stumped 😞

//EDIT: oh i forgot, a lot of threads say "create a installer". is that just using the application builder builtin to create an exec or what exactly does it mean?

Message Edited by unknown00 on 06-07-2007 04:18 PM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,125 Views)
Some questions:

Did you install only the 24MB runtime engine of the 87MB version of RTE 8.0? You need to install the big thing.
Is it possible you are including the 6.1 version of lvanlys.dll instead of 8.0?

In 8.0, Builing an executable and creating an installer is both done on a LabVIEW project.

Building the executable does just that.

If you built an installer, you package everything up for distribution, optionally include the RTE and other support files, etc. Later running the installer, will put  everything in its right location, e.g. the executable in the "program files" hierarchy, a shortcut in the start menu, etc.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,116 Views)

I have encountered the same probelm when using the lvanlys.dll in a pgm.  What I found is it does get included as one of the dependancies and put into the correct sub folder.  However if yuo read how LV handles DLL's it says that it only includes the top level DLL and if that DLL calls other DLL's you will have to include those manually.  I tried to read the lvanlys.dll in notepad to see if it calls other DLL's and there are several other DLL filenames in there.  I included all of the DLL's that I could find but there were still some that I couldn't find and it still doesn't work.  The bottom line is I don't think the lvanlys.dll will work in an exe until we know all of the sub DLL's it calls and are able to manually include them in the build.  I don't think building an installer version of the EXE will work unless it includes all of the missing DLL's.  Also I don't want my users having to install everytime they want to use the EXE.

DWH

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,831 Views)

duplicate post

You are incorrect about using an installer. That is the best way to get all of the necessary files. It should be run at least once. After the correct support files are installed, you need to only update the exe if necessary.

Message 4 of 5
(2,824 Views)

Sorry about my inexperience with an installer.  I haven't used this feature.  I will read and learn how to use then see if it can solve the problems.

DWH

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,813 Views)