LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

¿is it possible to know the hard disk serial number?

This thread shows how to read the hard disk serial number using windows scipting files( .vbs). You need to be running windows and have scrpting enabled.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=144519#M144519

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(1,073 Views)

sorry for this...I don't understand!

Thank you Philip,
I've thought about this solution that seems quite easy to program, but discussing this solution with collegues a lot of them told me that it's also quite easy to spy the behaviour of the protection, see that ipconfig is called and replace it by another function responding to the command ipconfig that will always return the same value, so the MAC address control could be unefficient...
I don't know if the fact of calling ipconfig from labview makes enought "trace" to be discovered, or if the ipconfig isn't such an easy thing to hack...so could you please tell me more about the most hacker-proof solution (lv source, dll, exe...)?

Thank you in advance.
Bim
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(1,072 Views)

Thank you for this solution,

I still have questions. Does the script (vbs) has to be keeped as txt in the machine? Is there a possibility to modify this script so that it returns the required value all the time? Can't I put the script as a string constant in my VI so that there is no way to modify it if the diagram is locked?

What are the weaknesses of this protection solution? Is there no solution that don't use a DOS command but a specific LabVIEW function?

Thank you again for your advices.

I'm lookig forward to your answer.

Bim

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(1,046 Views)
Hi Bim,

If the 'ipconfig' approach is not sufficient for your copy protection, then you shoud consider other solutions as for example hardware dongles. Please check these other threads for more information:

How to protect LabView executables?

application copyright protection

I hope this helps you in the right direction.
- Philip Courtois, Thinkbot Solutions

Thinkbot Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(1,033 Views)