From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to create LABViewApplication for our own Hardware?

Hi everybody...

We have designed our own Data Acquisition Hardware...earlier we were developing GUI application using VC++ for that hardware..
Is it possible to create GUI application for our own hardware?..(Serial port,parallel port,ethernet,TCP/IP,USB)..
(not NI Devices)
if possible then how to communicate with our hardware....(how to send & receive commands b/n appln software & our hardware)
need to write any protocols...(then how to write it in Labview)
i tried something like configuring the channels.....i found difficult to do that..
is there any way to do that
i attached our GUIappln jpeg file with this msg as attachement(i need these to be implemented in LabVIEW)
help me regarding to that appln ..
thanks...
Message 1 of 7
(2,661 Views)
Hi
From whatever you have described I am not sure whether you just want to communicate with your device in LabVIEW or you want to design a full fledge driver.
If you just want to access your custom hardware in LabVIEW you can use VISA VIs to perform low level communication. I don't know the specifications of your DAQ card. But before selecting the means of communication(parallel port, serial port, USB) make sure that particular port supports enough Bandwidth

Tushar Jambhekar
tushar@jambhekar.com

Jambhekar Automation Solutions
LabVIEW Consultancy, LabVIEW Training
Rent a LabVIEW Developer, My Blog

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,648 Views)
Itjalal,

Absolutely. By all means.. NI software tools are not used exclusively with NI products, although in most cases, you'll appreciate that 😄

You can create your own custom GUI in LabView or LabWindows-CVI (if you are more familiar with C/C++ and need to create instrument drivers). The benefit of using LabView is to be able to create a custom GUI and the tests quickly. You have all the choices for communication (Serial port,parallel port,ethernet,USB).

LabView is designed with the end-product in mind, however, you will have to prepare your protocols (drivers). I typically create them using LabWindows-CVI as wrapper functions, but if you can communicate to your product directly using software like HyperTerminal or using a TelNet session, then you can communicate with the product by simply using LabView. Even parallel port communication is simple.

To answer your question on how communication is accomplished, you will have to let us know the following:

1. what version of LabView that you are using?
2. how do you "manually" communicate your your product at the moment?
3. what is your preferred communication method? (Serial port,parallel port,ethernet,USB)
4. do you have existing communication protocols?
5. how did you try to configure the channels? can you provide a brief explanation?

The GUIappln jpeg can be created using LabView. Let's start with the questions above.
Please keep using this thread as it can contain all the steps to get you to success.

And remember: have fun with LabView (experiment with it). 😄

JLV
Message 3 of 7
(2,641 Views)
thank u for ur kind reply joe..

version:- Labview 7.1
communication:- serial & parallel port.
the way i configure is
setting all the values first ,like selecting channels & appropriate voltages,sampling freq,trigger voltages etc..storing all the values into configuration file & setting packets values(packet is described in structure)
this is my packet structure(55 bytes)

typedef struct DataPacket
{
BYTE cSom;//start of message
SHORT cChannelsArr ;//channels
BYTE cSampleRate ;
BYTE sTrigger ;
SHORT sCheckSum;
BYTE cEom ;//end of message
} DATAPACKET ;

for example if i selected channel1 cChannelsArr is set to value 1,if channel 2 then value is 2,if channel 1 & 2 is selected value will be set to 3
in this way i am storing the values & sending to hardware. According to that i will receive the data from hardware and plot the values in graph..

i need to implement all these into labview
1. To creat config files(writing & reading config files)
2. how to create ,send & receive packets
& other das operations

waiting for ur kind reply..
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,608 Views)
Hi itjalal,

Let's start with the first one: Config file

You can create, write and read to a file using LabView.

This thread may provide indications on how to create, read, write and append to a text file.
The text file could contain configuration data that you can edite (using LV) as needed.

Follow this a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=102462&query.id=0#M102462">link.

JLV
Message 5 of 7
(2,539 Views)
Let's try the link again:

Follow this link.
Message 6 of 7
(2,538 Views)
thanku a lot joe...
i will be going thru this code...
one more work assigned on me to complete within this month...(in vc++..creating generic DAS using vc++)...i will b doing this....
i will check what u have sent & tell u back....
i need ur help always ...ur helping me a lot
thanks again 4 responding a lot

regards
jalal
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,514 Views)