From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is daq bit resolution applied to the range set in daq assistant or is it to physical voltage limits of daq.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, So this is my first post here,

I was wondering about this :

When you set up a new daq with daq assist, is the resolution applied to the voltage / number of inputs you set, or is it a fixed value per volt per channel.

For example :

i have a usb-6015 daq, it has 16 analog inputs, 16-bit resolution 250 ks/s -10 to 10 volts.

so is it like (2^16)/(16 *(10 - -10))= my resolution per channel per volt?

or does this have nothing to do with the ammount of channels,

if i want to measure over 0 to 5 volts, does my 16 bit apply from 0 to 5 or is it still over the daq's scale (which is -10 to 10 volts)

Thanks

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,300 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author m.caron

You will get full 16-bit resolution on every channel regardless of how many channels are configured.  Most DAQs are multi-plexed so your sampling SPEED specification in usually an aggregate meaning that you can only scan channels at a sample rate = MAX RATE / # of CHANNELS.  Also, most NI DAQs have a Programmable Gain Amplifier on the front end so if you specify a smaller voltage range in your task configuration the amplifier will automatically increase the gain to use the most ADC bits possible.  Check you device spec sheet and manual for details...

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 2 of 3
(2,297 Views)

This is exactly what i wanted to know, thanks very much!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,291 Views)