LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installer with application only

Hello,

I have an applicatin file (.exe) which work only on computers with LabView.

I want to build an installer from it.

This application was done a long time ago, so I don't have the VI's or projects files. I basically want to create an installer from it and addtional device drivers so it can work on computers without Labview.

Is there a way to do it? when I start a new project and want to create a new installer - I don't have the option to select my application in source files.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,725 Views)

I think Installers are created from LabVIEW Project, which (in turn) requires the LabVIEW "source code" that you don't have.

Note that depending on what your Executable requires, you may need nothing other than the LabVIEW Run Time Engine, which comes packaged to "install itself" when executed.  I've written some analysis routines for data created with my LabVIEW-RT system and placed the executable and the RTE-installer on a share so that my colleagues who need to analyze the data they collect can download the RTE installer, install the RTE on their PC, then download the Executable and its accompanying Data folder, put it on their desktop or in My Documents, and run the programs.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,698 Views)

I think you can technically trick an empty project into thinking it built an EXE, and then allow you to make an installer from it, but this probably won't do what you want.

If you made a project with a simple VI that does nothing and use that to make an EXE, then replace that EXE with yours, I think you could then create an installer that includes you EXE.  But there maybe other problems with this because you'll have to do this in the same development environment.  So it would be best if you had the same LabVIEW version, with the same DAQmx, and same MAX, and same everything else, so that when you create an installer it includes the same versions of these things under the additional installers.

Another option for you is to create your own installer.  This can copy your EXE to the installed location, and run any NI installers like the run-time, DAQmx etc, silently.  I've always used Inno Setup combined with ISTool but others have had success with Install Shield.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,686 Views)

Yeah you must create the installer from the Project Explorer and through build specifications create a new installer. You can reference the link below for creating a new installer. 

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/build_installer/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,653 Views)

Just include the .exe has a file within the project, then build the installer referencing that.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,638 Views)