LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installer shortcuts

Why is the installer so buggy when it comes to shortcuts?!?! I've had this frustration for years. Shortcuts disappear constantly! I don't know what triggers it, but there is absolutely no reason it should go away. I'm not changing executables in my installer. I'm always pointing to the same executable.

When I change the "Subdirectory" input on one shortcut, it does the same thing to any other shortcuts.

Why can't shortcuts be named the same thing? I think it's perfectly reasonable (an frankly, expected) to have the same shortcut on the desktop and the start menu. Why do I need to name them differently?

I feel like this has been broken for years and it wastes a ton of time for me. I go through my builds only to find out the shortcuts are not as I they were and I have to go back and build it again.

For background, I'm have two exectutables in my installer that need shortcuts. I want to put a shortcut for each in the program menu under a subdirectory. I also want one on the desktop for one of those exectuables. It should have the same name as the one in the program menu. Somehow, this always gets screwed up! It should be incredible simple. A task that should be set once and forgetten about unless I change an executable.

I'm using LV 2105, 65bit version.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,484 Views)

So I have seen shortcuts disappear from the application builder before.  I don't know what triggers it but I have checked the installer before doing a build to make sure it is still there.  I suspect that doing a build of the EXE and canceling, or failing the build for some reason may cause the installer to have some kind of issue where it doesn't link to the EXE and the shortcut is removed.  I don't know for sure and I didn't investigate much further.

But as for the shortcut names, I have had a shortcut on the desktop, startmenu, and startup all using the same name, could you elaborate a bit on what exactly it won't let you do?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,456 Views)