From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installer overwrite

Solved!
Go to solution

I created 2 different installers for 2 different programs. I want them to reside in the same target folder. However, when I install the second program, it overwrites (replaces) the first one. The 2 programs have different names. How do I prevent this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,186 Views)

Did you duplicate the installer, there's an 'upgrade code' that identifies the application for things like checking if it's a fresh install or an update. You can generate a new random upgrade code from the installer build specs (it's under version information).

If that doesn't work, then it's possible that they can't reside in the same folder. I don't know how clever the installer that NI uses is, but it might delete the folder when uninstalling. If you put it into a subfolder in the directory though, that should be fine.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 2 of 6
(3,178 Views)

I did not duplicate the spec in the project but I copy and paste then rename the entire project to a different one because they are so similar. I will try to generate a new upgrade code.

I did try to put it in a different target folder but it still goes back and uninstalls the old one before installing the new one. I have a completely different program in the same folder and it does not have this issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,158 Views)

Then yes, it's definitely because of the Upgrade Code - if the upgrade code is the same then it considers it to be the same application so it will uninstall the old files before installing the new files.

(blog)
Message 4 of 6
(3,154 Views)
Solution
Accepted by sng99

Generating a new upgrade code fixes the problem

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,145 Views)

Why not kudos my post or mark my suggestion to generate a new code as the solution, then? 🙂

(blog)
Message 6 of 6
(3,095 Views)