LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installer on different PC behave differently!

Hi all,
After generating an installer from LabVIEW 8.2, I installed in two computer, 1 Dell Optiflex GX620, and 1 Dell Optiflex GX150. My .exe program run OK on the Dell GX620 but run inconsistently on the other PC. My program only uses the serial port (port#1), no fancy DAQ card or anything that need drivers. Does the PC's hardware cause the difference ? What could be the problem ?

Thanks

Note: My "working" PC does have LabVIEW 7.0 previously installed within. The other doesn't have any LabVIEW related software installed.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,370 Views)

To use the serial port, you need to install VISA.
Previous versions of LV had an option for including serial support in the installer and I assume 8.2 still has something similar.

By default, I believe that LV does install VISA with it, which would explain why it worked on that computer.

(2,353 Views)

Thanks for your reply. Yes I did select that option to be included on my installer. But the inconsistent failure that I have seen doesn't relate to serial port function. It is more like a variable not being updated when it should be, during each run. And that was why my case statement doesn't do to the TRUE case where it should. Am I having a timing issue here ? Does CPU speed has any affect on this ?  I'm really stuck right now.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,329 Views)

Well, that is a completely different issue. Without seeing your code and understanding exactly what the problem us, there is no way to tell for sure, but I would make the following suggestions:

1. See if you can pinpoint the source of the problem. Place indicators on your panel which will show you data coming from relevant places in the code or log the data to a file. Analyze this to see if you can see if there is a problem in the code.

2. If you are convinced that the problem is with the serial communication, then I suggest trying to increase the timeout on your communication (assuming you have any). You could also try using other ports on the computer or using a USB to serial adapter, since it is possible that you have a hardware problem or an OS issue which slows down your communication.

If that doesn't help, you can post more details about the exact nature of the problem.

(2,316 Views)