LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insane object error, how to locate the insane object?

When I save my VI, I keep getting these error messages:
Insane object at BDHP+169CA0 in "xx.vi": {graphics}(0x80): Wire Segment (WIRE)
From "What Does an 'Insane Object' Error Mean and What Should I Do?" in the knowledgebase, I know this insane object is a wire on block diagram. But how can I really locate the exact position of this corrupt wire?
I modified this VI a long time ago, at that time there was no error. But when I open it today the insane object message emerges, so I don't know which wire is the insane one.
thank you for any replys
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,446 Views)
Did you try the tips presented in that document? I have found that when I encounter this error the tips presented in that document work every time. You say you modified the VI a "long time ago". Was it with the same version of LabVIEW? If not, then the VI would have been recompiled when you opened it. It's also possible that if the VI is calling subVIs and those subVIs changed it would have triggered a recompile when you next opened the VI.
Message 2 of 6
(5,436 Views)
You could also try the tips at the new LabVIEW Wiki.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,427 Views)

I get the same problem but I am able to dissolve it. Please go through the following options,

Some Info : -

The cryptic nature of the message can be deciphered as follows: Insane object at FPHP+4C in "name.vi": {dsitem} 0x400: Panel (FPSC)

• FPHP -- this will be either FP or BD for "front panel heap" or "block diagram heap"
  • 4C -- this is a hexadecimal number indicating which object.
  • name.vi -- which VI had the insanity
  • {dsitem} 0x400 -- really only meaningful if you know how LabVIEW internals work; I'll skip it here
  • Panel (FPSC) -- the type of object that has problems. The four letter codes are usually descriptive (COSM for a cosmetic or simple drawn part, SGNL for a signal aka wire). A common one that you won't guess is DDOD, which stands for Data Display Object (the last D is because it has to be 4 chars). A DDO is either a control or an indicator.

Most of the time, deleting the offending object and recreating it from scratch is sufficient to fix your VI and allow you to continue working.

Solution :- Go through the following steps

• Open your VI
  • Press CTRL+SHIFT+D+H. On Mac, use the command key instead of CTRL. This will open a window known to LV R&D as "heap peek" since it gives   internal views into the front panel heap and the block diagram heap.
  • The window is divided into 4 sections: top-left, top-right, middle, and base. The functionality of the various parts is obscure and mystical, so we're just going to focus on the bits that help with finding and deleting insane objects.
  • Check the error message given about the insane object. It includes either the letters BDHP or FPHP. Scroll through the top-left list box until you find those 4 letters and the name of your VI. Left click to select that item. This will change what is displayed in the top-right section of the window.
  • In the top-right section, find the line that begins with the number identifying the object. These are sorted numerically. Left click to select the object when you find it.
  • In the middle region, there is a box with an F inside it. This is a button (heap peek doesn't use a lot of advanced drawing, so it doesn't really look like a button, but it is). Click on the F button to find the offending object.
  • LabVIEW will switch to the block diagram or front panel and select some object. Whatever object it is, delete it
  •  

This info is also available on link....."http://wiki.lavag.org/Insane_object'

Thanks

Hemant

Message 4 of 6
    (5,166 Views)

Can I bring this thread back to life?  I am running LabVIEW 8.0.1 Base Package.  The CTL+SHIFT+D+H does nothing.  Is there any other way to identify the offending object?  In my case it is a wire.  The diagram is quite complex and going through every wire will take a very long time.

0 Kudos
    Message 5 of 6
    (3,974 Views)

To have access to the heap peek window, you have to have the relevant line in the INI file. See the link to the wiki in the previous reply.

(3,971 Views)