From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insane object error does not resolve upon re-load

Solved!
Go to solution

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AFA28DCC3DE89839862566B200594E8C

does not resolve this issue.  Even when I close the VI & re-open it, I get the following error message:

I tried doing dozens of undo edits of the last 10 or 20 changes.  None of them work.  None of the suggested fixes work at all, either.

Worse yet, I can tell that my code is not what is looks like. It is not running the code that is on the diagram, it is running some previous version of the code.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,277 Views)

I don't want this merely on the discussion forum.  I want a true help ticket with NI.  I clicked on email an NI engineer, and it threw me here instead.  Lousy help system.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,276 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MattI

Hello Matt:

I am sorry to hear that this is such a frustration!  I'll admit "Insane object" isn't much of a descriptor.  I'm not sure of the magnitude of your project but are you able to re-write what you have in your current VI inside a new VI and run that?

Can you please describe in detail what you are trying to perform with your code?  If you wish to create a service request for this, you may want to call 1-866-275-6964 and speak with a representative.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Greg S.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,257 Views)

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.  It sounds like you've been on both ends of a serious error/crash resulting in code loss before.

As Murphy's Law would have it, it happened right before quitting time.

I decided to stick it out & make it a late night while I remembered most of my changes.

I quit & restarted LabVIEW, pulled the VI from a backup done the day before, opened up the backup version of the VI, opened up the bad code, and tried pasting changes in.  However, I soon got oodles of "insane object" errors, and gave up on this route.

I quit & restarted LV, opened up the backed up VI, opened the bad new VI on a 2nd monitor (after configuring the display etc.), and manually re-drew (i.e., "re-wrote") all my code just by inspection.

This worked. (To play it safe, I also forced a system backup before going home, and saved lots of revs. along the way during my edits.)

I rarely have experienced "insane object" errors in my 10+ years of LabVIEW programming.  Therefore, I have used little of other languages the past 10 years, and have developed so much re-usable code that I know well, I don't want to move away from it.  It is quite unsettling / scary when it happens, especially on a large program.  It makes me consider going back to text-based programming, where at least there's some inspection of all but the most messed up files (vim/binary mode, for example).

Anyway, I am on my way now, but will be even more diligent about "Save As" to save interim versions during long code writing sessions.

Also, I ran chkdsk per Apps Engr suggestion on a ticket I did later open after doing this post.

Thanks, Matt

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,251 Views)