cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

illegal mode 0x72 in GenEA

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

i have a project in LV 2010 and i wanted to build it now in LV 2011.

When i try to do that i got a message "illegal mode 0x72 in GenEA",

and that just in the main vi. Can't open it, LV is telling me that it

was not possible to compile the VI when i open the VI. Thats all

from the error window, can't jump to an error...

Does someone know what that means?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,157 Views)

Can you post your main.vi for others to try (including all dependencies)?

Have you tried loading a different VI from your 2010 project in 2011 to see if the problem is endemic?

What happens if you backsave from 2010 to an older version, does that succeed? If so, can you load the back-release in 2011?

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,148 Views)

I can't upload the software (50 MB in over 1000 VIs) and the software contains confidential

callibration routines for our measurement devices. But i will try the following steps:

- Save from 2010 to 2009 version

- remove all (possible) dependencies from the main.vi until i can load it in LV2011.

That i did so far:

- open every DynVI and Subpanel VI, because all of them are using the 1000 SubVIs and

i was able to load and compile each of them

- did a mass compilation and the only problem is within the main.vi

- i can open the main.vi, can see the front panel, can see the code, bat can't browse to

the error, because the only message is "... can't compile" thats all. I will remove step

by step some SubVIs from the main.vi until i can load it in 2011... i will do that until i

found that vi that causes that error. It would be helpful if i know what "GenEA" means?

The software needs DAQ, RT and network shared variables, thats all.

- i have mailed that error to NI, because also Google doesn't finde anything with that

error message "illegal mode 0x72 in GenEA" (only my question here)

Stefan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,143 Views)

Sounds like you're doing the right things Stefan.

I have a memory of attempting something similar, back in 8.6, with a corrupted VI. I was able to load it and view it, but it wouldn't compile. By removing sections of the code part by part, and enforcing recompiles of the VI (Hold CTRL and click Run), I was ultimately able to get it to compile. The last thing I removed was, therefore, the cause of the problem.

I think for my specific case there was a corruption of something, a large cluster constant somewhere, and replacing it with a new one (a replica) fixed the problem.

Good luck!

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,138 Views)

Hallo Stefan,

did you find a solution so far?

Otherwise i would try to help you.

I read, that your project itself contains 2-exe files. Did you build thoses files in LV 2009 oder LV2011?

Abduelkerim

Sales
NI Germany
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,127 Views)

Yes, the soluition was (from NI support):

1. open the bad VI

2. select the entire code (not front panel)

3. copy all

4. close the bad VI (that is very important)

5. open empty VI

6. paste the entire code

7. repair false references (e.g subpanel)

This works fine for me, but it would be nice if a subpanel has its own symbol on code page

to support such copy&paste solutions. In my case it was necessary to create a new subpanel

and repair 30 properties nodes (insert subpanel). I will post that on Idea Exchange...

Still open: What does GenEA mean? Support was not able to tell me the meaning...

Stefan

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,098 Views)

Hi Stefan,

first of all thank you for posting your solution.

The error GenEA occures when you have a bad VI / corrupt VI. This means, somewhere, the compiler makes a mistake and can't compile the code behind your, for example while-loop, correctly. This can happen when the compiler can't find the vector address. This should not happen, but sometimes it does. Otherwise, the solution you posted is the solution, that also the software developers of LabVIEW propose to do.

"GenEA" is an internal error code, so, i think, it would be hard to get any more information about that and what GenEA exactly means.

Abduelkerim

Sales
NI Germany
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,087 Views)

Sadly, I have been unable to successfully recover from this failure using this method....Every time I go to copy any portion of the code and paste, I get an access violation.  Frustrating as I have been working with this interface for some time now and it has a lot to it.  Sigh...anybody have any other suggestions?

Matt

(forgot to state that I am using 2012 f1 on a Windows 7 machine; this problem started to occur when I was moving things around on disk)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,988 Views)

Hi Matt,

unfortunately i have still the same problem. I tried as i posted but later on i figured out that

it doesn't work. I deleted some parts of the VI and sometimes i was able to start the VI.

When i did the same the second time (deleted the same parts) it didn't work. Than i had

to delete other parts too. So, from my point of view it is NOT reproducible what kind of

parts of my VI need to removed so that i'm able to start my VI. It sucks because it is

my main VI not a SubVI that i can rewrite again shortly.

Stefan

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,980 Views)
(forgot to state that I am using 2012 f1 on a Windows 7 machine; this problem started to occur when I was moving things around on disk)

BTW you shoud install the latest f3 Patch for 2012 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,977 Views)