LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if it happens white screen on long-running LV's application

Dear colleagues,

If it happens "white screen" on long-running LV's application - what is to be done to avoid it in future?

Note that after "white screen" (approx after 1 week from start application) - no happens any events or log in Windows 7.

It is interesting that in the LV2009 this behavior was not registered.

To isolate the problem I need to do to program your own log file and write in it all the actions in my program or may be rollback to LV2009 Smiley Happy?

Program is designed for 24/7 operation (well at least a month of continuous operation).

My system is Windows 7 SP1 on Advantix ER-7000 (Intel, 4 GB RAM), LV2014f1, PXI-1033 with 3 cards NI-6511, NI-6515 and Pixie4 (third-party manufacturer). Program consists form one top-level VI and 100 vi (in project tree) and 5 lvlib with local variables. Also are "calls library function" for simple read/write from Pixie4 and also are simple actions read/write with NI-6511, NI-6515 cards. Note that I don't used different threads (Preferred Execution System) now all works in one "same as caller".

Please any help is appreciated. I know about full code optimization and now I'm thinking about it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,319 Views)
  1. You could share your project, so people might pinpoint the problem.
  2. You could try to remove all unrelated parts step by step, and see if a minimalized code can reproduce the bug?
  3. What do you mean about "white screen"? Win7 frozen? Do you need to hard reset PC, or you can kill the LV task from task manager (ctrl+alt+del)?
  4. After a few days, do you see increasing RAM usage?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,290 Views)

I am also curious about what a "white screen" is. In addition to the questions that BLOKK asked, what is the CPU usage doing? I have seen a few cases where a program used so much CPU that it wasn't left with enough time to update the GUI properly.

Yes, we need to see the code.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,251 Views)

2.You could try to remove all unrelated parts step by step, and see if a minimalized code can reproduce the bug?

No, I am very far away in space from the system. 

3. What do you mean about "white screen"? Win7 frozen? Do you need to hard reset PC, or you can kill the LV task from task manager (ctrl+alt+del)?

Win7 - lives on, but LV task is terminated from task manager (ctrl+alt+del).

4. After a few days, do you see increasing RAM usage?

No - RAM growth is absent, but I checked it only when my project work under LV2009.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,213 Views)

It is useful to have your MAIN VI at the top level of the project tree. I have only found a configuration vi (Pixie4SetUserPar.vi) there, can you tell us which VI do you run for days?

edit:

"4. After a few days, do you see increasing RAM usage?

No - RAM growth is absent, but I checked it only when my project work under LV2009."

Maybe then it would make sense to check your RAM when you run your project under LV2014? 🙂

(it is unlikely, but there might be difference between LV2009 and 2014 in reference and memory handling?)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,184 Views)

I have only found a configuration vi (Pixie4SetUserPar.vi) there, can you tell us which VI do you run for days?

May be I did not quite understand your question, but this VI is intended only for hardware setup for Pixie4 and no use for buld exe file.

I discovered that may application do 25% CPU loading.  Oh! Very interesting! 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,169 Views)

No, you did not understand my question 🙂 So what is your main VI? I cannot check it in your build spec, since I am at home, and the LabVIEW Home edition does not have this feature.

Did you code this project yourself?

edit: I have found a VI called "Form_Main.vi". Is this the top level VI? I had a look at the block diagram. Massive use of flat sequence structures, global variables and a spagetti code. Sorry, this is beyond my skills to debug.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,149 Views)

No, you did not understand my question Smiley Happy So what is your main VI? I cannot check it in your build spec, since I am at home, and the LabVIEW Home edition does not have this feature. Did you code this project yourself?

edit: I have found a VI called "Form_Main.vi". Is this the top level VI? I had a look at the block diagram. Massive use of flat sequence structures, global variables and a spagetti code. Sorry, this is beyond my skills to debug.

"main VI" it is "Form_Main.vi" (it is the "Top-level VI" at the same time). Thank you. I wrote it all by myself as best I could. I agree with you that code needs to be improved. I'm working Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,133 Views)
You still haven't said what a "white screen" is. I have no idea what you are seeing except that is is using a lot of CPU and the only way to make it stop is to abort LV from the task manager.

Where is the code?

Mike...

PS: this conversation needs to be carried on in the public space -- not private messages

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,097 Views)

the code was attached in a previous post:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/attachments/ni/170/943364/1/AR31_Oper.zip

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11