cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i2c bitbanging

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'd like to create a LabVIEW program that communicates to a stand alone component using I2C.

I'm guessing that I will need to use bitbanging to get this accomplished.

Does anyone have any examples of this?

Is this even possible to do using LabVIEW? (You'd somehow have to quickly switch your data line from input to output)

Help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,002 Views)

Check out this thread: i2c interface in LabVIEW

Chris
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,983 Views)

Your question is incorrect. LabVIEW is software. In order to do I2C programming, you need hardware. You can buy the USB-8451. Some NI DAQ boards can do I2C. NI's FPGA boards can do I2C. Numerous third party I2C devices.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,973 Views)

Of course I need hardware!

What I'm asking is if I can use any ol' DAQ to do this.

Let's say I have the USB-6009, is it possible to make a LabVIEW program that communicates to a device (through this DAQ) using I2C?

Or do I need a special DAQ?

p.s. I've already looked at that other i2c thread and didn't find it helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,968 Views)

No, you cannot use the 6009. The other thread does list some of the DAQ hardware that you can use ("like the NI 6547, 6548, 6551, 6552, and 6556 devices") and lists the requirements so you can review NI DAQ boards to see if they meet the specs ("any device that supports per-cycle tri-stating"). What other help do you need? The 8451 is the cheapest option from NI if all you need is I2C.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,964 Views)

Ah okay, this helps!

I also have a myDAQ, but it doesn't say anything about supporting per-cycle tri-stating.. I'm guessing this means it doesn't support it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,955 Views)
Solution
Accepted by JimmyD

I have never used myDAQ. If the digital I/O is software timed like the 6009, then no.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,952 Views)

The myDAQ does not support per-cycle tri-stating, but does have hardware timing, unlike the USB 6009.

I would recommend getting a USB-8451.

Joey S.
Senior Product Manager, Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,934 Views)