LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to write to custom hardware via serial communication ?

Sorry for delay in reply.  Schematic shows just the GND, RX and TX signals.  That means that no flow control ( hardware handshaking) is necessary.  Make sure that you vi sets the flow control to "NONE".
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 44
(705 Views)

@centerbolt wrote:
Sorry for delay in reply.  Schematic shows just the GND, RX and TX signals.  That means that no flow control ( hardware handshaking) is necessary.  Make sure that you vi sets the flow control to "NONE".

centerbolt - ok
be later then never....thank u4 replay.

think i mention that there is no flow control.

in reply no. 2 you mention several programs for custom hardware.....
using labview 8.0 professional development system .

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 44
(694 Views)

@David Crawford wrote:

I was wondering about the address being up to 10 characters long. What you normally type into the DOS program when prompted?

I am sorry to sound like a broken record but I am very suspicious about the RS characters appearing in the receive buffer of the PC com port when using the example program. Its either the custom hardware micro code responding in echo or Pins 2 and 3 are shorted together in either the RS232 cable assembly or the custom hardware.

David

David - in the dos program, there is a  message for the user 😞 after the checking....)

"insert command -->"

then, user type number between 1 to 127 and press enter .

dont  be sorry, you are not sound like a broken record !
thank U for not despairing.

Message Edited by kingofnoland on 01-06-2007 12:51 AM

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 44
(695 Views)
My guess is that the custom device is "echo"-ing back the commands sent to it.  It is very common for a headless system to echo back the commands it receives, followed by the real response.

It seems like you have the basic serial communications established. Now you need to work with LabVIEW to provide a good User Interface to your custom device. LV seems like a great choice for your custom implementation, but you are getting tripped up with the interface to your device.  To get started, I would recommend testing your device using hyperterminal to send and receive commands. Once you have a session log of the communication, use that as one of your design guides to build your LV block diagram.

Good luck.
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 44
(673 Views)