LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use RS232 as data logger

I have one PCB and it has RS232 Interface. When the PCB powered on, the RS232 will send out some self-diagnostic data out.so i have a plan ,My plan is to use RS232 as data logger to receive the data one DUT by one DUT,and save it to a txt file as test report in the harddisk. sO I can test the DUT is fail or pass based on the report. I want to use LV to programm . Anybody can give me some example like that what i mean? By the way, if i use USB interface to replace the RS232 Interface, can LV 6.1 can handle it? or should i buy LV7.1. i heard that lv7.1 can direct handle USB Interface of PC. is it true?? Thanks a lot for your help !!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,796 Views)
I don't have any examples, but it sounds like a reasonable program. If you have a specific number of DUTs that you want to write to and/or perform tests on, you could use a VISA Open.vi to establish a session to your RS232 device, pass the session id into a for loop, perform the actions for the device, and then outside the for loop, close out the VISA session with a VISA Close.vi. Hopefully this gets you moving. Have a great day!

Logan S.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,769 Views)
I intend to buy a tachometer with a RS232 interface. I have a PC with a serial port and a 6025E DAQ card. Can I connect the tachometer with either. If I connect with the DAQ card, which PINS shall I connect to? I have attached the 50-PIN 6025E sheet.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,687 Views)
LV1958

Connect it to the serial port.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,668 Views)
I have only ONE serial port and that is already reading an instrument. Can I attach another SERIAL port to this port? It would be TWO on ONE. I am not using the printer. Can I use the printer port. If not can I use the 6025E DAQ card?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,648 Views)
You could buy a plugin card that provides additional serial ports for your computer to use. NI sells one here and you can find others from many vendors. You might even be able to scavenge a serial card from another computer in your lab or area, if the port isn't built into the machine's motherboard.

Alternatively, you could move into the world of GPIB (again, you'd need to buy a plugin card for your PC), if the existing instrument supports that interface and you can find a GPIB version of your tachometer instrument. That way, you would have much more room for expansion and you would keep the serial port free for any device that doesn't support GPIB.

And no, you really can't use your DAQ card for serial communication. I know you've received this advice from others here already, and it really is the right advice.

A usage comment: you should probably start a new thread when you have a new question like this. The drawbacks of piggybacking on an existing thread when your topic isn't very similar are: first, it's confusing, and second, the system starts sending thread activity e-mail notifications out to people who are only expecting notifications when there are responses to their question.

Take care,
John
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,642 Views)
Actually this is the FIRST forum that I am a member. Is the GPIB a card that is attached to the PC? If an instrument has a RS232 interface can it be used with a GPIB card?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,631 Views)
As an alternative you can use a USB to Serial converter. Now that modern PCs seem to come with only ONE Serial port, I'm using these more often. They are cheaper than GPIB and less fiddly than plug-in serial cards.

Tim Norris
"...and all this science I don't understand
it's just my job five days a week"

Using 6i, 7.0 & 7.1 on Win'98, 2K & XP
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,628 Views)
I have TWO serial ports. Is it possible to RUN a stepper on one serial port and to interface the other serial port with a weighing machine with RS232 interface? Can both serial ports be used at the same time?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,564 Views)
You cannot access both ports simultanously.However you can set the buffer size on each port, so that you don't lose any data whilst accessing the other port.Usually windows configuration is that serial ports (com 1 & com3) share IRQ3 whilst even numbered serial ports share IRQ4.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,554 Views)