From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to transfer the continuous data from labview to excel

Hello,

I want to transfer the data from labview to Excel continuously. At present i am using Export data to Excel, but i am only able to transfer the existing data from graph to excel. My question is how can i trasnfer the whole data i have received from serial communication in to Excel.

I am attaching mz VI with this post. Please help me with this problem.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,598 Views)

There's a whole palette called "File I/O". You can use this palette to write data to file in many different ways.

Here's a help document with all the information you could need.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,587 Views)

Hello James,

I am new to labview. I have gone through the page but i did not understood how it works. Please provide me with an example VI to transfer continuous data from labview to excel. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,577 Views)

Before developing code to do something, it is always a good idea to know what you want to do.  From the LabVIEW code you provided, I can't figure out what you want to do, and suspect that you might not have a good idea of what you want to do.

Here are some questions:

• What is the nature of the data?
  • How fast are the data coming in to your VISA port?
  • How many points constitute a "data set"?
  • You mention "continuous data" -- how do you plan to start and stop data acquisition?
  • If data is coming in continuously, how fast, how much, and what kind (i.e. integers, doubles, booleans, etc.)?
  • Do you want to process each point as it comes in, or take all of the data (however much that is) and process all of it when you've got it all collected?
  • If you are writing data to a file, what kind of data, and what kind of file?
  • Be careful how you use the word "Excel" -- to many LabVIEW beginners, Excel = Spreadsheet.  I prefer to think of Excel as a program that is part of Microsoft Office that uses .xls and .xlsx files.  Note that LabVIEW's "Write to Spreadsheet File" (the new name in LabVIEW 2015" writes a text file with a .csv extension, a format that Microsoft Excel can read, as can Notepad or any other text editor.

Bob Schor

Message 4 of 7
(3,562 Views)

@liviya wrote:

Hello James,

I am new to labview. I have gone through the page but i did not understood how it works. Please provide me with an example VI to transfer continuous data from labview to excel. 

Thank you

There is LabVIEW example code in that article. I suggest using the Write to Spreadsheet VI for starters.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,555 Views)

What's wrong with you people?  Why can't you just answer the guys question in the simplest form you can. Why does everyone associated with this program feel the need to make things as complicated as humanly possible?  Yes we all can get as deep as Assembly Language but most people just want to move data from an instrument to a spreadsheet with the least amount of programming possible. They just want to get the thing done without all of the what if's and what nots.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(946 Views)

@SJE,

Welcome to the LabVIEW Forum.  Many of us are LabVIEW Users and enthusiasts, and are dedicated to helping others learn LabVIEW and become Users and enthusiasts along with us.

The Posts about which you were complaining are more than six years old.  To provide a meaningful (and maximally-useful) answer, one size definitely does not fit all.  One problem with answering the earlier OP was that the problem was not clearly explained.

I'm guessing that you might have a similar problem, and are upset that you didn't find "a solution" in the Forum.  If this is the case, I recommend you create a new Message, with a clear Title, and describe such things as the type of data you hope to save, the speed at which the data comes in, how long a recording session might last, an estimate of the maximum file size, and whether there are "special circumstances".  Plus, of course, wondering what "Excel" means (is it really an .xlsx file, or simply a text file organized in rows and columns by spaces, tabs, commas, or something else).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(931 Views)