LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to read data from an ethernet port?

Hi all,

I have currently bought an RFID reader that can capture active RFID tags. However, i have the RFID Reader's IP address (192.168.1.129) and the port number (6700) that is assigned by the readers software application "TRAVIS".

I would like to extract data from the ethernet port (LAN cable), with my LabVIEW software.

Please advice.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,551 Views)
There  are both TCP vi's and examples. The tcp vi's can be found (in 8.5 at least) under "Data Communications/Protocols". For the examples look in the "Help", "Find Examples", search on "tcp". There are a number of examples to get you started.
Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 2 of 7
(8,546 Views)

Thanks a lot LV_Pro.

I will have a look at the examples when i return to my university.

Anyway, do you know if LabVIEW has any "polling" function; as in similar to an "interrupt" but happens periodically? I find that when my case statement is initiated, the background doesn't do its probing. I would like to periodically let the background task run for a brief moment periodically, while my case statement is not completed. (there is a nested sequential block embedded in that case statement making it runs for approx 10sec). I would still like to let my VI background acquire data from some hardware's periodically like at every 300ms?

Also, do you know if i can use LabVIEW to call a Visual Basic program (my VB program is to take out some data from a hardware. Reason being that i am using VB and not LabVIEW, is because the supplier has given me a VB code with the hardware).

Please advice.

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate if you can help.

Cheers,

Justin

Message Edited by Justin Lim on 04-06-2009 01:04 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,525 Views)

"polling" function: you can use a timed loop, or a loop with an event structure with a timeout. Or a regular loop with one of the time functions. If you show us your code a more definitive suggestion can be provided.

VB code: Are we talking old VB or VB.NET? If it's old VB then you need to create an ActiveX DLL from VB, and use the ActiveX functions in LabVIEW. If it's VB.NET then you need to create a .NET assembly and use the .NET functions. Examples for these ship with LabVIEW.

Message 4 of 7
(8,514 Views)

Hello Justin,

I am trying to do the exact same thing as you trying to get the data from the RFID reader from the  ethernet port. I looked at the TCP/IP LabVIEW examples and have not had success. Did you ever find out how to do it? I would appreciate any help at all, thank you so much.

Bryan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,020 Views)

@bcorduts wrote:

Hello Justin,

I am trying to do the exact same thing as you trying to get the data from the RFID reader from the  ethernet port. I looked at the TCP/IP LabVIEW examples and have not had success. Did you ever find out how to do it? I would appreciate any help at all, thank you so much.

Bryan

Do you have the documentation for the RFID reader? I would start there. It must have some type of protocol it uses for an application to retrieve the data. LabVIEW is quite capable of reading/writing to the network using TCP/IP. The tricky part is knowing the application layer protocol.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 6 of 7
(2,012 Views)

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your reply. I finally got my very simple VI to read information from the ethernet port for my RFID readers. I now have a different challenge.

I am trying to make it so once an RFID tag gets scanned, LabView receives it and can use the existence of the individual scan to trigger other commands within my program. Is it possible to make it so when a tag is read, I can turn the "string" from the TCP Read into a digital signal (1 or 0) or a boolean signal? 

Along with that, is it possible to filter the string received from the TCP Read so I get individual tag scan info? 

Below is my block diagram and example of the string output I am getting.

RFID Reading Block Diagram.pngRFID Reading Front Panel.png

Any sort of insight is appreciated, thank you.

-Bryan

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,970 Views)