Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get query without use instrument io assistant

Solved!
Go to solution
I'm running LabVIEW 8.5.1 on windows 7
I have HP 66000A which has 8 DC power supplies
I want to communicate with the device without using the "instrument I/O Assistant" because I need to allow the user to choose between these devices .

I use the GPIB plates to send the commands
But I couldn't find a replacement for the Query and Parse command to read the output voltage
My address is like this GPIB0::5::0::INSTR
Where the zero can be any number 0-7 (hence the 8 devices)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,744 Views)

Hi Mo7,

But I couldn't find a replacement for the Query and Parse command to read the output voltage

Did you grab the manual of your HP devices? There you will find any commands needed to communicate with the device(s)…

You may also try the NI Instrument Driver Network to check for pre-made drivers for your device. I found them here

(Hint: I would search for Agilent instead of HP, but hurry up before they change their name again! :D)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,733 Views)
Is there a way to use query and parse without using "instrument I/O Assistant"?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,729 Views)

Hi Mo7,

I already gave you two ways: read the manual to find all commands (and the device answers) OR use the pre-made instrument driver found at NI.com…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,727 Views)
Hi gerdW ,
Thank you for your response.
I don't know but I heard my supervisor told me that the pre-made drivers may slow the execution time since they take longer time to load.

Is that true? If so, is there another way to do it?

Thank you very much

By the way my computer didn't refresh earlier so i didn't see your post sorry.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,725 Views)
The manual provides the way for basic language and c language but not LabVIEW
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,723 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mo7mmed

Hi mo7,

As a programmer you should be able to adapt the examples given in that manual for LabVIEW…

my supervisor told me that the pre-made drivers may slow the execution time since they take longer time to load.

How does the "loading time" influence execution time? Can you (or your supervisor) explain this?

The InstrumentIO-Assistent uses the very same underlying driver to communicate with your device as you would use on your own (or does the driver at IDNet): VISA. "Execution speed" is mainly dependend on the used connection between PC and device and on device execution/response time…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,716 Views)

Thank you @GerdW

@GerdW wrote:

Hi mo7,

As a programmer you should be able to adapt the examples given in that manual for LabVIEW…

my supervisor told me that the pre-made drivers may slow the execution time since they take longer time to load.

How does the "loading time" influence execution time? Can you (or your supervisor) explain this?

The InstrumentIO-Assistent uses the very same underlying driver to communicate with your device as you would use on your own (or does the driver at IDNet): VISA. "Execution speed" is mainly dependend on the used connection between PC and device and on device execution/response time…

Thank you @GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,698 Views)