From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to establish a network DDE?

Hey,

I would like use dynamic data exchange (DDE) with a software (DaVIs) on a Windows NT computer from a different computer with windows XP. I have checked that the two LabView can send DDE to DaVIs when they both on the same computer. I know I should use the Network DDE between the two computer. I am not so sure about setting the network DDE windows application but I am sure that the service name is "DaVis" and the topic name is "CL".

Does anyone have an idea of how to set Network DDE with Labview?

p.s. - I have read application Note 166, "Using DDE in LabView (Windows only)" but I think that I am missing some steps.
Message 1 of 8
(4,648 Views)
The Network DDE is separate from LabVIEW and must be enabled from the Windows Platform to allow LabVIEW to communicate with applications across a network. The directions for setting up a 9x machine and an NT machine are different but are both found at the bottom of the App note you have referenced. Which step are you having a problem with, or, what are you seeing after completing the procedure.

-Brett
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,631 Views)
Hey Brett,

Thank you for the reply.

The stage that i dont understand is, stage No.3 under the heading "Setting up a NetDDE Server on Windows 2000/NT" in the document I have mentioned.

The procedure I have done was to open DDEshare.exe on the NT machine, create a reg named "DaVis" then I have entered Dacis as the old and new application name and CL as the new and old topic name. On the XP machine I have created the attached file (a vi which suppose to send a command in C programing language to the program DaVIs). As you can see i have entered the following \\prl101.anu.edu.au\ndde$ as the service and DaVIs as the topic.

The response was DDE Open: ERROR 14013 DMLERR_NO_CONV_ESTABLISHED

Thanks again.
Eldad
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,618 Views)
Eldad,

\\prl101.anu.edu.au\ndde$ is pointing to the machine and the service. On your 2k/NT machine...make sure that you have added and are properly addressing your service. As is now...your "share" is called ndde$....if you don't have one created of this name it would return the error you received. You can add a share by clicking on the Add Shares button under the ddeshare.exe program.

See if that is what it is,

Brett
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,601 Views)
Hey Brett,

I have created a chare NetworkDDE called DaVis& and I also "Trusted it". The service is now: \\prl101.anu.edu.au\DaVis$ and the topic is "CL". However, I still get the same error: DDE Open: DMLERR_NO_CONV_ESTABLISHED.

In the "DDE Open Conversation.vi", the service appear as "\\" and the topic as "CL", whereas I would expect the service to be "DaVis" with the same topic name.

did you have a look at my sand_DaVis.vi? do I need to modify it?

Cheers
Eldad
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,595 Views)
Eldad,

A couple of things to test:
Try one of the existing shares on your machine and see if you can connect to it....I think Win2k has chat$ and hearts$ by default as trusted shares.
Try using the IP address rather than the computer name...

I was able to connect with another machine in the office using your program...all I did was change the IP address and the share name.

-Brett
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,572 Views)
Brett,

How will I know that i am connected? So far i have open the DaVis application and send a command to it (for instance print a word) but nothing had happen.

could you tell me how did you set up your machines please?

Cheers,

Eldad
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,564 Views)
I tried until I didn't receive the "NO CONN" error and then I knew I was connected. Have you tried the DDEs that come pre-configured??? hearts$ or chat$?? Those worked for me right off the bat.

-Brett
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,551 Views)