LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how does indicator in front panel on target code update in rt pc target?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am using a desktop PC as a Rt target.

Using shared variable, I can see the parameters in the target.

Another way of seeing parameter is to put an indicator in the front panel of target code.

I would like to know how this indicator updates?

Which method is more efficient (i.e. Which one causes less target CPU usage)? Shared variable or indicator in the front panel of target code?

Also, I would like to know is there a way to show target code's front panel in the monitor which is connected to the RT PC target?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,838 Views)

@msad66 wrote:

Using shared variable, I can see the parameters in the target.

Another way of seeing parameter is to put an indicator in the front panel of target code.

I would like to know how this indicator updates?

Which method is more efficient (i.e. Which one causes less target CPU usage)? Shared variable or indicator in the front panel of target code?

The data is transferred over TCP, using a proprietary protocol specific to National Instruments. I doubt there's a noticeable difference in efficiency but I've never tested it; in any case, the front panel updates run at low priority so they won't interfere with other higher-priority operations. The shared variable gives you programmatic access to the value, while the front panel indicator only displays the value to the user. Also, the front panel can be removed when the application is compiled, in which case there will be no front-panel updates.

@msad66 wrote:

Also, I would like to know is there a way to show target code's front panel in the monitor which is connected to the RT PC target?

Which operating system? Definitely not under PharLap/ETS; maybe under Linux (I haven't yet dealt with any Linux-based RT systems).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,780 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author msad66

This White paper explains it a bit more including the integrated HIM available on the newer Linux based cRIO controllers

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,775 Views)

Thanks a lot.

Let me say my second question in other words:

I use a RT PC target and run a target VI on it using a laptop and LAN cable. Also I connect a monitor to the RT PC target. Monitor shows CPU usage and a note that says welcome to the real time LabVIEW. Is there a way to illustrate the front panel of target VI which is running on the RT PC target on the monitor connected to the RT PC target?

Also you said that "the front panel can be removed when the application is compiled, in which case there will be no front-panel updates". I am new user in RT LabVIEW and it is my first time using a desktop PC as a RT target. Could you explain me more about compiling an application on a RT PC target and the difference of that with simply running it using a host computer?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,753 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author msad66

msad66 wrote:

Is there a way to illustrate the front panel of target VI which is running on the RT PC target on the monitor connected to the RT PC target?

No.

@msad66 wrote:

Also you said that "the front panel can be removed when the application is compiled, in which case there will be no front-panel updates". I am new user in RT LabVIEW and it is my first time using a desktop PC as a RT target. Could you explain me more about compiling an application on a RT PC target and the difference of that with simply running it using a host computer?

A compiled application does not require the development environment to run. It can be configured to run when the RT computer boots, with no interaction. See the LabVIEW help for Real-Time Application, for example http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370622K-01/lvrtconcepts/building_rtapplications/

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,726 Views)

Thanks a lot Nathand.

I have got the answer.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,709 Views)