LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how does high rate data aquisition work?

hi, i'm interested in understanding how data can be remotely communicated at high rates as required in impact measurements.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,341 Views)
Could you define remotely communicated a little more?? Wireless, ethernet modules, how high of data rate, sensors only or images/video??
Message 2 of 8
(3,335 Views)

....SCRAMNet, Sneeker-Net....

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 8
(3,328 Views)
smoke signals, carrier pidgeon.

Seriously?  Most high speed DAQ buffer the data and then send it to whatever device is doing the analysis / storage / sudoku / whatever.  The transmission method / speed is limited only by your imagination and budget.  Realistically, you do not need to transmit the data at anything resembling the aquisition speed.
Message 4 of 8
(3,320 Views)
thanks uncle bump, ben 'n' jason for your response. i was looking for information on high rate data aquisition originally ; data from strain gauges, thermal sensors plus image from an impact event lasting for say 5 to 20 micro seconds. Also data from these sensors had to be transferred from the respective sensors to the aquisition/conditioning device without wires. Another constraint is that the sensors would be mounted inside the impactor and therefore would be in motion.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,303 Views)

Hi vichu,

Have you considered using a Wireless Sensor Network (WSN)?  From what I understand, a WSN is made up of components that combine a transducer, an A-to-D Converter (ADC), and a wireless transceiver to send the data back to a central location.  Although National Instruments does not make a wireless network, I know that LabVIEW can easily integrate with several of them, usually through database or VISA communication.  WSNs can also be used in parallel with NI hardware, such as FieldPoint or PXI.  I can't really give you any detailed specifications on a WSN system, but it sounds like something like that might work for your application.  At the very least, it's a starting point worth looking into.

Thanks,

Justin M
National Instruments

Message 6 of 8
(3,261 Views)
hi Mr Justin, thanx for the idea of WSN .wonder what would be the minimum size(volume) required to mount a standard WSN comprising  a transducer, an A-to-D Converter (ADC), and a wireless transceiver. Do you have any idea of the possible cost involved?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,246 Views)
Hi vichu,

Like I said, National Instruments doesn't sell WSNs, and I've never used one myself.  I'm not even sure this is a solution that will work for you, but I wanted to let you know it was a possibility, and at least give you a starting point.  I just did a quick Google search for 'wireless sensor network', and it looks like there's plenty of information out there, from published research papers to companies currently selling WSNs.  That seems like a good place to start...

Good luck!

Justin M
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,212 Views)