LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I create a timed event message or boolean triggered/closed event message?

I am looking to have a message appear that is triggered by a Boolean input, then the message needs to disappear by a Boolean input as well, without mouse interaction.  Basically when a digital input is set high then the message needs to come on until another digital input comes on.  Everything I have tried so far requires mouse input and that is not an option in my case.  It may also be nice to have the option of triggering via a digital input but closing/acknowledging the message automatically after a programmable time.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,018 Views)
It is not a complex problem. how would you like to have your message? in a dialog box or in a listbox fixed on the screen?

Generally, you must use an event structure to capture value change event of your boolean switches. then you can add/delete items to/from your alarm listbox, or in a dialog method you can instanciate an Alarm message VI template to show the message and programmatically close it as an autoacknowledge option.

I can explain each of these solutions if you define your suitable style for displaying the message.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,016 Views)
Here is an example of using an event structure, and using value signaling to cause the events to happen without mouse or keyboard intervention.  The display is simply a string indicator that is hidden when not needed.
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Message 3 of 8
(3,008 Views)
Thanks for the help, it worked just as I needed!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,991 Views)

Hi, 

Do you know how I could use this VI to display certain messages based on an RMS input?

We need to use EMG signals to output different messages. We want the different message options to highlight one at a time. When the message is highlighted that you want to select, the user will squeeze their fist, and the RMS value will be used to as an input to select the message. Do you know what the best way to do this is??

Thanks! cwood4647@gmail.com

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,555 Views)

Pretty old thread, but anyway - you want to have a scrolling highlighted message option from an array of messages, and then choose based on an input signal?

If so, I should guess it's not too tricky. My suggestion (if that's your use) would be to have a multicolumn listbox control, containing each of your options, with 'Highlight Entire Row' selected. You could have an event structure in a while loop with a timeout case, in which the value of the MCLB was set to i%N, where i is the iteration terminal and N is the number of options.

Then, in a parallel loop, you can acquire your data and make a comparison against a threshold value. If the measurement is determined to have indicated the user squeezed their fist, then you can generate a user event and have the first loop handle the event, taking an action based on the value of the MCLB.

Does this sound like it might work for you?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,544 Views)

Hi thank you so much for your help. I am pretty inexperienced with LabView, so I was wondering if you could take a look at  my VI. I am having trouble with the multicolumn list and how to set the value of the MCLB. Basically, we are using an EMG to record input which will be used to select the message when highlighted. Any help would be really appreciated, I am struggling with this project. 

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,531 Views)

I had meant something a little more like this. Of course, that doesn't mean you should do it!

I'm not sure exactly how you want it to look, and you can use a table or MCLB in 2D with more careful selection - this was just a quick example showing some communication between loops and stop criteria, and so on.

If you don't need the string (because you know the index, for example) there's no need to wire the Item Names into the loop in this example. I did it just for a simpler way to write the 1-button dialog used as a placeholder for an event handler.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,525 Views)