LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i control a Yaskawa V1000 variable frequency drive with labview?

I am quite new to labview and am in need of a way to control the RPM of a water pump using a 1hp AC motor.  Currently, I have it hooked up to a Yaskawa V1000 drive (the manual can be found here: http://yaskawa.com/site/dmdrive.nsf/(DocID)/MHAL-7JSLMA/$File/SIEPC71060618.pdf) but would like to interface the frequency control to my computer so that I don't have to do it on the drive anymore.  

Would anyone know of an easy way to do this with a pre-made driver or would I have to program it from scratch using the serial commands given in the manual?

Thanks,

Tei 

Message Edited by avtr on 10-15-2009 07:10 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(13,194 Views)

Hi Tei,

Your best bet for instrument drivers would be here: ni.com/idnet

However, I could not find any there for any Yaskawa products, nor could I find any online anywhere else.  You may just have to do the serial programming using those VISA VI's. 

Regards, 

Marti C
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
NI Medical
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(13,170 Views)

Thanks Chancenator.  I'll check that out and bad to worse try to program it manually. 

Thanks,

Tei

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(13,162 Views)

Taking a quick look at the manual online it appears that this drive controller is communicated with using MODBUS over a RS485 serial link. There are a number of companies that make RS485 to USB serial adapters, EasySync ES-U-3001-M being one that I have used. There is a MODBUS Library of LabVIEW vi's that provides the Modbus functionality. You will be able to select the comm port that is created when the RS485 adapter is installed in these Modbus vi's.

Message Edited by LV_Pro on 10-17-2009 08:51 PM
Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(13,149 Views)
Thats great.  So, I can just hook up the controller to a RS485 cable, plug that into the adapter and then the adapter into a USB port of the computer?  Then with the Modbus driver I will be able to control it? Does this eliminate the need to manually put in all of the commands?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(13,134 Views)

Hello,

I'm currently using ModBus to control an ABB AC motor drive which is very similar to what you are doing. If you load the ModBus library and follow the instructions you can first get ModBus running between 2 serial ports on your PC and get a feel for it. Then use the RS-232 to RS-485 adapter and try communicating with the drive. If you do everything OK there won't be any timeout errors. You can use just ModBus function codes 3 and 10 to "readback" and "set", respectively, the drive parameters as per page 381 of your drive's user manual. Any YES you can input the speed reference from LV and set it without messing with the AC motor drive at all! Let me know how that works for you... Good Luck!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(13,124 Views)

Hi!

I'm curently having an assignment regarding a Omron v1000 frequency converter. (Recon it's basicly the same unit) And I'm supposed to controll it over modbus, well, I've been going at it for a month or so now and I'm making little progress. As of now it's about a week until delivery and so far I've only gotten to know how to use some of the blocks. I've been following https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YFZOCA4&l=en-US to make it work. But I don't know how to export the initialise vi into the device, anyone that can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I'm doing this as a school assignment and none of my lecturers know anything about this system and the national "knowledgebase" on labview couldn't help me as he didn't know what kind of component I were working with. And the support-group for the component didn't know what labview was.

So I figured out that this probably is the best place to get help.  

I'm currently using LV09.

P.S. I live in Norway, if that'll be of any help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(12,881 Views)

Hello,

As per my previous post, when I was in your position I got Modbus to work on my computer between 2 serial ports using the LV Modbus library and instructions. One port was used as the Master and the other the Slave. Then after that works, just diconnect the Slave and connect it to your inverter with an RS-485 converter. That should give you bitsize tasks that you can get to work plus NI can offer some support for their Modbus library and ap notes.

Let me know how you progress....

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(12,859 Views)

I don't know what you mean by "export the initialize vi into the device".  I thought you were just trying to use a PC to connect tot he VFD.  The link you posted discusses using touch screens or CVS systems to be modbus master or slaves.  They have nothing to do with PC's (other than you need a PC to program those devices.)

All of the LabVIEW modbus VI's reside on your PC application.  There is nothing you need to export to the VFD drive.  What you do need to know about the VFD drive is its serial port communication parameters (baud rate, parity, stop bits), its modbus slave address, and also the parameter vs. register address list.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(12,850 Views)

You can find all the info on V1000 series (NEMA 1 & NEMA 4X/12) at the following page.

http://www.clrwtr.com/Yaskawa-V1000-Drives.htm

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(9,285 Views)