LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

host pxi communication

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm running with LabVIEW 8.6 (no option to upgrade this lab systemSmiley Frustrated).  One other complication is that I have host PC and driver (PXI) in different lvproj files (maybe an artifact of using Simulation Interface Toolkit).  I have tried using shared variables, adapting the example shown in https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-30176, but it only works one way (write only on host PC) but not if attempting read/write or read only.  I saw there was an earlier post on this topic, but the resolution was to upgrade to a newer version of LabVIEW https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Deploy-Shared-Variables/m-p/1619816/highlight/true#M585856.

Question is:  what is the best host PC to PXI communication path - shared variables, TCP/IP, UDP?  I think I need to abandon trying to get shared variables to work and move on to a different mechanism, just looking for advice on which direction to head to next.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,433 Views)

Hi Dina

I'd probably look to using TCP as discussed here.

Kind Regards

Chris | Applications Engineer NIUK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,428 Views)

There are 3 examples.  Do you have a recommendation as to which to start with?

Simple Data Client.vi, Simple Data Server.vi

Data Client.vi, Data Server.vi

UDP Receiver.vi, UDP Sender.vi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,421 Views)

Hi

That really depends upon your requirements.

Have you read the descriptions for each of the examples? 

The first decision which you need to make is whether to use TCP or UDP. A comparison of the two can be found here.

Most simply UDP will provide you with a faster data transfer rate, however there is no means to recover data which is lost along the way.

Once you've decided, I'd go with KISS and use 'simple' data client/server if it's adequate, otherwise look at data client/server.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,415 Views)

SIT uses the one closest to the "Simple" example and KISS is best.  However, I don't want to interfere with the model communications used by SIT.  I'm not sure if piggybacking on this channel (port 6011) will interefere.  I can't change any code in the areas with "green labels", so I'll have to put the non-model Host-PXI communications elsewhere. So should I piggyback or open a different port?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,406 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DinaDemara

Hi

I'd use a different port, there's usually far more available then you'd ever need to use.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,388 Views)