cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hiding excel

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I created this VI in Labview 2014 with the Report Generator toolkit.

So far, all is working OK except that I am not able to keep Excel hiddin.  I don't want Excel to show at all.  just the data from it on the front panel.

I looked into the posted examples and tried to incorporate them, but it still doesn't work (hide).

Please keep in mind that this is a work in progress as I have not closed Excel yet which is another thing I'm not sure how to do with the Report Generator Toolkit.

Could somebody please take a look and possibly let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,152 Views)

Well, keeping Excel hidden is as simple as wiring "Minimized" to the Window State input of New Report.  However, looking at the rest of your code, I'm entirely confused about what you are doing and why.  My guess is that is you said clearly what you wanted to do, you could accomplish this much more simply than what you are showing.  Give me a hint ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,097 Views)

I am gathering information from a csv file downloaded from the internet and plugging this information into into specific cells in an Excel spreadsheet.  Then through the magic of macros, formulas are applied and the remainder of the fields are filled in.  I want to do this with Excel hidden, or minimized, or whatever.  I don't want to see Excel, just my front panel with the information filled in.  I have done this years ago before I had a Report Generator Toolkit, but over time my vi's got lost.  I tried what you mentioned with the minimized state, but for some reason it didn't work.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,970 Views)

rlemoine002 wrote:

I am gathering information from a csv file downloaded from the internet and plugging this information into into specific cells in an Excel spreadsheet.  Then through the magic of macros, formulas are applied and the remainder of the fields are filled in.  I want to do this with Excel hidden, or minimized, or whatever.  I don't want to see Excel, just my front panel with the information filled in.  I have done this years ago before I had a Report Generator Toolkit, but over time my vi's got lost.  I tried what you mentioned with the minimized state, but for some reason it didn't work.

Well, it seems to me that if you already have an Excel Workbook that has the formulas in place, waiting only for some data (obtained from a .csv file to be inserted into specified cells.  I can't guarantee anything, but I'll bet a dime I could use the RGT more-or-less as I outlined and make this work.  Are you willing to risk a dime?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,950 Views)

Hey, hey.  You're so helpful that I'll go 2 dimes.  Maybe even throw in another nickle if it works out.

That is my ultimate goal.

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,894 Views)
Solution
Accepted by rlemoine002

Check your Private Messages in the Forum.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,873 Views)

Thank you so much for your effort.  It was quite a learning experience for me.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,833 Views)

If anyone is curious as to the solution, it was, in fact, the step mentioned in my first reply.  Here, for example, is a routine that reads in an entire Worksheet as a 2-D array of strings, running Excel minimized (which takes much less time) ...  Note, also, that this also shows that the RGT works with the new(er) .xlsx Excel format (which I recommend over .xls).

Minimized Excel.png

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,779 Views)