From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

guide for porting Simulink to LabVIEW

Is there a "best practices" guide for converting Simulink to LabVIEW? 

I inherited a Simulink code, but not all the extra (expensive) toolkits, and I am not going to be funded for all the other toolkits.  My directive is to convert to LabVIEW, and use that.

Is there a document that translates between the two, so I can know that some object in simulink translates to a vi with those inputs?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,709 Views)

Hi EngrStudent,

I recommed this paper that shows how to build a LabVIEW user interface for a simulink Model. http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3057/en/. But it actually use an additional toolkit for LabVIEW, it is the NI LabVIEW Simulation Interface Toolkit. If you don´t wanna use this toolkit, you  might traslate manually the Simulink model to a block diagram representation in LabVIEW.

Regard!!!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,690 Views)

Although LabVIEW and Simulink look somewhat alike (there was a years-long lawsuit over this), functionally they're very different so the conversion is not as straightforward as you might expect. A Simulink model can be converted into a series of equations which are solved through Matlab; LabVIEW, on the other hand, generates code. For anything other than the simplest models, you can't take Simulink diagram and map it directly to LabVIEW. Instead you'll need to work out the logic and re-implement it in LabVIEW, possibly in a way that doesn't look anything like the Simulink original.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,663 Views)

@nathand - so there is no "simulink --> matlab --> MathScript" route?

Message 4 of 6
(4,660 Views)

@EngrStudent wrote:

@nathand - so there is no "simulink --> matlab --> MathScript" route?

Nope. You can possibly compile your Simulink model into a DLL and then call that from LabVIEW, if you have the right Matlab toolkit to compile it, but then you'll have to use Simulink to edit and recompile the model when it changes.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,652 Views)

@nathand - I have a decent computer and the Simulink compiler only uses one core.  That is a stunning waste of CPU power.

Part of the vicissitudes of the compiler include its (archaic) hardware utilization.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,646 Views)