LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

group block diagram objects

I'm almost certain this question has been asked before, but my searches are coming up empty-handed.

Why is it not possible to group objects on the block diagram?  I'm using 8.2.1, so if this has been implemented in a later version, you have permission to slap my wrist and send me to the corner for not paying attention.

I think I recall the option being discussed in conjunction with the new "block diagram clean-up" feature of 8.6, but I think the general tone of that was that it would be cool to group objects and have them treated as a single object when cleaning up the code.

I have some code which is generating a lot of user events, and when changing datatype (Typedef) it happens that I need to re-arrange things so that nothing is overlapping.  This is a right royal pain without being able to group the event data constant and the create event node together.......

Shane.

Message 1 of 9
(5,869 Views)

It would be nice.

Another small feature i would like, is the ability to add comments in event structures and cases. Or even replace the text whith something easier to read.

When one event is generated by many ways, you have a very wide text, which is hard to read.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,859 Views)

That would be a cool feature to group block diagram objects...

I think the only way to "group" objects is to create a SubVI, so you don't have the problem to rearrange the objects when you push the cleanup button.

Cheggers

Sascha
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,803 Views)

Well yeah, but user events show the name of the constant in an event structure, so I would need a Sub-VI for EACH event.....

I really hope BD grouping comes in the next (or next-next) LV version.

Shane.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,796 Views)

Has this been achieved yet?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,226 Views)

I would really like this feature. As far as I can tell it still doesn't exist.

It would be nice to be able to anchor comments to specific items, especially a location in a case structure or sequence structure, to the upper left corner of the frame for example.

I know there is now an arrow but that doesn't seem to be able to link to structure walls. Nor does it  fix the comment spatially.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,710 Views)

@livermor wrote:

Has this been achieved yet?

If you like this idea you should suggest it on the idea exchange board.

Personally I don't really know how often I would use this, or find it useful but others might.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,661 Views)

Recognizing the original post is from 2009, this may be too late or there may be a better built in solution by now.

I was just having this problem and couldn't find any solutions on this thread or similar, so I thought about how I could solve this myself.

What I came up with i.e. my work around that I just came up with is to add a "Disable" structure to my block diagram flip the condition to "Enabled" then place whatever blocks/code I'd like to keep "grouped" into this new "Enabled" structure.

This kept my blocks/code grouped so when applying the auto clean up feature my blocks were not randomly placed throughout the block diagram panel.

I haven't experienced any bugs from this YET.

Again, there may be a better solution to this that is built in that I am unaware of, but this is what I just came up with.

Cheers!

Respectfully,

Bryan

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,201 Views)

A single frame sequence structure would be a better choice, slightly.

If you don't want code rearranged within a structure, you can right click on the structure and select "Exclude from block diagram cleanup."

Message 9 of 9
(3,195 Views)