LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting started with active active x and labview

Hi all, I would like to start investigating using labview as an active x server and client. i enviasaged creating two vi's with numeric controls which could effectively talk to each other via active x.Problem is how to get started .Is their any tutorials showing how to use various functions, and are there any good books on active x ( or better Labview)in general?

thanks dht
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,588 Views)
If you only want 2 VIs to talk to each other, there is no reason to use ActiveX. There are several simpler (and probably faster) methods to do this (globals, functional globals, VI Server, Datasocket, TCP, DLLs to name the main ones). Some of these can also be used for programs not written with LV.

You can find more about communication in the LabVIEW user manual. You can find several examples in the LV example finder. Also, try searching this site and google for LabVIEW and ActiveX tutorials. Here is a LV tutorial. You can also contact your local NI office and join one of their courses.
In addition, I suggest you read the LabVIEW style guide. If I remember correctly, it may discuss this as well.

(2,580 Views)
hi tst thanks for the links. The eventual aim is to be able to control various controls on a VI ( which has been turned into a .exe application ) and run from Excel or similar active X server /clents.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,571 Views)
There should be some documents on this site about using LV as an AX server, just do a search for ActiveX. In general, I believe you need to set your app to be a server in the application builder and then I believe you should get the VI server interface.

(2,562 Views)
Make sure you check out the Excel example that ships with LV (examples\comm). Take a look at freqresp.xls. The VBS code inside there uses the LV ActiveX server to interact with and display a VI.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,542 Views)